Chapter 5: Subtle Hints

Start from the beginning

The girl straightened out her dress, pulling it down slightly as she approached the front door. Adrianna peered out the closest window, watching Tom as he strolled up the driveway and onto the porch. Just as he reached into his pocket to fetch his keys, Adrianna opened the door.

"Well hello," Tom greeted, a little shocked. Adrianna couldn't exactly tell if it was because she had beaten him to the door, or if it was because she was wearing a dress he had never seen before. "This is unexpected."

Adrianna moved aside, allowing her boyfriend to step inside. "What's unexpected?" she asked, playing dumb.

Tom stepped into the house, shutting the door in one swift motion, standing close to her. "You. Why are you dressed up? Is there a special occasion?" he inquired.

Adrianna winked. "Well if you think this is special..." her voice trailed off as she turned and started to head towards the dining room. Although she wasn't looking, Adrianna could feel Tom's eyes on her, which is exactly what she wanted. Once she was in the dining room, Adrianna turned to see Tom's reaction.

The man didn't say anything for a few moments as he took in the dinner before him. Adrianna could tell he was happy though; a smile was far too apparent on his face. "You put all of this together for me?" he asked.

Adrianna nodded. "I thought you deserved something nice," she answered quietly.

He smiled before hugging her briefly. "Well thank you, love," he said appreciatively. "We should probably eat it before it gets cold."

The couple took their seats at the table and began plating their food. After several minutes of just typical, every day conversation, Adrianna was beginning to wonder if Tom was going to take notice that this wasn't some common dinner. The girl was trying her best to subtly suggest something to him, and she was beginning to think she was failing in that department.

"Is this wine?" Tom inquired. Adrianna had been too busy eating, and contemplating her next move that she hadn't noticed her boyfriend take a sip from his glass.

She nodded, glancing up at him. "Moscato, to be more specific. The only alcohol I've tried so far that doesn't give me heart burn," she admitted.

Tom raised an eyebrow. "But weren't you drinking a daiquiri the night we met?"

Adrianna nodded. "Yea, I love them! My body, however, does not."

"There's a lot of things you love that your body doesn't, isn't there?" Tom teased.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Dree countered.

"Daiquiris, watermelon, chicken nuggets from McDonald's," Tom listed. "Need I say more? All of them upset your stomach in one way or another."

Adrianna bit her tongue. She knew there were plenty more things that could fall into this category, but she wasn't going to continue. Not to mention there were a lot of things she wanted to have but couldn't for whatever reason. She was hoping tonight she would take one of those things off her list. Adrianna was determined to change that. She had waited long enough, and honestly didn't know if she could resist any longer. There was no denying the fact that Tom sent her hormones racing; it was only a matter of time before Adrianna lost all control.

As dinner wrapped up and Adrianna began cleaning up, she was beginning to wonder if her attempts were futile. As the girl finished up the dishes and set them in the drain to dry, she felt someone push up against her, running their fingers up her legs before resting on her waist. Adrianna tried her hardest to resist the shiver that was sent coursing down her spine.

"Dinner was delicious, love," Tom whispered in her ear.

"Thanks," Adrianna answered quietly.

"Now, you never did answer my question," Tom reminded. "What is up with this dress?"

Adrianna debated her answer over carefully in her head. To be honest, she had no idea why she had picked this one out of all of them. She shrugged slightly. "Just wanted to look cute I guess," she responded.

Although Adrianna wasn't looking at him, she knew Tom was smiling by the way he snickered. "Well, it certainly looks stunning on you, darling," he stated. He paused a moment to kiss the base of her neck before adding, "Flatters your every curve." Adrianna released a breath she didn't realize she had been holding before turning herself around to face Tom. She wrapped her arms around his neck, resting her forehead against his. It was at this moment that Tom figured it all out. "You've been trying to tell me something, haven't you?"

Adrianna nodded slightly. "I... I think I'm ready," she stuttered. Admittedly, as ready as she was for the next step in their relationship, the girl was incredibly nervous about it. She hadn't anticipated changing her views, especially when there was so much uncertainty about the future. There was no way to be sure that Tom was going to be the one she married, but she had decided that no longer mattered; he was the one regardless to that. She had never been as happy as she was with Tom, and even if everything went up in smoke one day... she knew she would never regret the time with him. This is what she wanted.

"But I thought you wanted to wait?" Tom inquired. Adrianna was glad he hadn't forgotten that bit.

"Changed my mind," she explained. "I've been so happy with you, that I honestly know I'm not going to regret it, even if something terrible happens."

"Well that's certainly optimistic, even though I sincerely hope nothing happens like that," Tom admitted. "You know I'm perfectly okay with waiting, right?" Adrianna nodded. The girl watched his facial expressions carefully for a moment- watching them flash from concerned and almost frowning to one of sweet delight. "But if this is what you really want, I'll be more than happy to oblige," he added with a wink.

Adrianna wrapped one of her legs around his, pulling him a little closer to her, pushing her back against the counter in the process. "I've never been surer about something," she admitted in a whisper.

Tom pulled her into a passionate kiss, assuring there was no space separating the two of them. As the kiss went on and their tongues entwined, Adrianna was already beginning to feel her heart race. She couldn't believe that this was really going to happen. But just as abruptly as it started, it ended. Tom pulled away from her kiss, and pushed an errant strand of hair out of his girlfriend's eyes.

"You know, there are better places to go about this than in the kitchen, Dree," he informed in a teasing voice. "I mean, do you really want to do this where you cook?"

Adrianna rolled her eyes. "No."

"Then allow me," Tom replied, sweeping the girl literally off her feet and carrying her all the way upstairs to their room. As he laid her down on the bed and resumed kissing her, Adrianna was ready to never let this night end.