"Loren, darling, I feel as though I've said it so many times, but you look absolutely beautiful." Violet complimented. Loren blushed slightly, "Thank you, Violet, I could say the same for you." The older woman waved her off, "Nonsense, nonsense."

Benedict shook his head lightly, a soft chuckle slipping past his lips. He struggled to understand why his Mother never took any compliments. She was middle-aged, and particularly attractive, she was always dressed nicely and well put together, but she made herself out to be some sort of hag.

Very strange indeed.

Violet and Colin led the way while Loren and Benedict joined Eloise behind them. "My Eloise, I'd say you look positively wonderful, but you seem rather glum." The woman pointed out, to which the younger girl scoffed, "Of course I am glum, I'm being dragged here."

"Brighten up dear, it'll be fun!"

Eloise stared at Loren, her nose wrinkled in distaste, "You know, you never liked these social gatherings until you married Anthony, it's almost as if you're a completely different person, and I am not liking the change."

"Alright Eloise, settle down." Benedict scolded, not wanting their Mother to hear their conversation. But the thing was, the girl wasn't wrong. Since marrying Anthony, the woman had changed, and he would say it was for the better. She'd gained more confidence, although Benedict knew she had already had it, but now she was unafraid to show it. He'd also noticed Loren had been enjoying these events because there had no longer been any suitors coming to her, wanting to ask for her hand.

And he was happy for her. He was happy to see his best friend happy.

But sometimes, he missed the woman she used to be.

The Bridgerton family filed inside where the party had just begun. Young couples littered the dance floor, waltzing the night away as if nothing else mattered. Benedict was surprised to see that Lady Danbury had also brought some live performances to tonight's ball.

An orchestra was playing lively music, a tune that he did not recognize, but found enjoyable. Then a familiar voice filled the air, "Bridgerton's!"

The family glanced across the room to see the one and only Lady Danbury approaching them. "Oh, Lady Danbury, what a wonderful soirée this is." Violet complimented. Lady Danbury tapped her cane against the tiled floor, "I think it might be my best yet. Just wait until you see the performance later, it'll be the talk of the ton, I'm sure."

"Who will be performing? Is it someone known?" Benedict questioned, his curiosity getting the best of him. The dark-skinned woman sent him a wink, "You will just have to wait and see, Mister Bridgerton." And without another word, she moved away to greet her other guests, leaving the Bridgerton's with many questions.

Colin glanced at his brother, "Now I'm very curious as to who it could be. Perhaps a new artist?"

Benedict shrugged, "I can only presume so." His light eyes swept the room until he found a familiar figure nearby the refreshment table. His signature crooked smile graced his lips, "Might I excuse myself a moment?" His questioned was directed at Loren, who followed his gaze, a grin spreading across her lips at the sight, "Of course, Benny, could you fetch me something to drink while you're at it."

"Of course, Viscountess." He replied before slipping away from her grasp. He maneuvered his way through the crowd, politely greeting those he passed until reaching who he was searching for.

"I do not believe my eyes, Charles Baird, is that you?"

The man whipped around immediately, his dark eyes widening in surprise, "Benedict Bridgerton!" He exclaimed, not hesitating to pull the man into a friendly hug. "It is so good to see you, my friend. How are you?"

"I'm fairly well. How are you, how is Kate?" A soft smile found it's way to Charles' face at the mention of his wife, "Kate is fairing well, although, she is not feeling her best this evening which is why she has decided to not join me tonight."

"Oh?" Benedict furrowed his brows, "Is she alright?" The man before him nodded, leaning in slightly, his voice lowering in volume, "Now, don't say anything, but we think she might be with child."

Benedict's jaw dropped. "You dog!" He whisper-shouted, "That's absolutely amazing, you must be thrilled." Charles nodded, "Well, it is not confirmed yet, but we are hoping for the best."

The Bridgerton sent him a crooked grin, grabbing two glasses of champagne from the refreshment table, "I think that this deserves a toast." Charles gracefully took the glass from him, Benedict cleared his throat, trying to remain as quiet as possible, "To your family, and all the happiness that comes to it."

"Here, here!" The long-haired man replied, clinking the glasses together before both men downed the contents.

"Now Benedict, what about you?"

"What of me?"

"Is there any special lady in your midsts?" He questioned, waggling his eyebrows suggestively. The brunet scoffed, "No, come on now Charles."

"See, now I am surprised. You are a handsome man, and have lots of qualities that a woman would adore and yet how is it that no one has fallen for you?"

Benedict chuckled lightly, "It is not that no one has fallen for me, my dear Charles, it is that I have not fallen for anyone yet."

Charles hummed in response, reaching for another glass of champagne, "Ah, I see." Benedict took a moment to scan his surroundings, noticing the crowd around them had settled and begun to quiet down.

The two men turned their attention to the orchestra, where Lady Danbury now stood before them. "Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I'd first like to thank you all for joining me tonight. As a new social season begins just in a few days, I wanted to bring everyone together."

A polite applause erupted from the crowd, which Lady Danbury took with a smile. "Settle down, settle down." And the crowd quieted.

"Oh the authority," Charles complimented to which Benedict replied, "That's Lady Danbury for you."

"And now, the highlight of the night, I present to you, Lady Campbell." Despite the unknown name, the crowd clapped loudly, cheering this mysterious figure on as she entered the room.

Benedict was aghast. Her beauty, it was unlike anything he'd seen. Her dark waves cascaded down her back, a contrast between her creamy skin. God almighty, she was absolutely gorgeous.

He watched with stars in his eyes as she took her place onstage, smoothing out the crimson gown she'd adorned that highlighted her figure almost perfectly.

And then she sang, and Benedict Bridgerton was enchanted by her song.

-*-*-*-

y'all i forgot how to write for the bridgerton era 😭
but i'll try my best!

as you noticed, my lovelies who have come from my anthony story, my characters will be making appearances!
anyone new here who has not a clue who loren or charles is, i suggest reading "my lovely lady" as to have a better insight on the story!

thank you all for reading! vote, leave comments and criticisms, and i hope you have a lovely day/night!