Chapter (50): Who are you?

"Damn. He really did yell 'Get out'."

"Wei-xiong, you're really amazing! How did you manage to do that?"

Waiting for Wei Wuxian behind a bush outside the Library Pavillion were two young men, one in purple and the other in dark brown.

"What did I say? I said I would get out before noon and that I would be out by following the regulations."

Wei Wuxian puffed up his chest with pride as he strode over. He hooked his arms around Jiang Wanyin and also casually spreaded his other hand in front of him. Jiang Wanyin's eyebrows twitched but he also casually took out a silver piece and put it on Wei Wuxian's hand.

"The payment has been properly received."

Wei Wuxian maintained a smile like a crescent moon as he took it.

"What payment? I just lost a bet. I still want to complain that getting chased out doesn't really mean 'released by regulations'."

"Hey! hey! Are you doubting the authority of Second Young Master Lan?! You have to know that in that Library Pavillion, his words are ordered and thus, he makes the rules and I had to follow them to a T! Did you or did you not clearly hear him tell me to get out?"

"Fine. Fine. I won't argue. I will say you do deserve the prize for being able to make that Second Lan curse out loud. I dare bet ten more silver pieces that it was his first time yelling." Jiang Wanyin snickered then laughed out loud.

"You bet that is. I would be surprised even if he had ever talked about topics that are not cultivation or rules." Wei Wuxian added on, "He is more stoic than a rock."

"And you do realize that it just proves how big of a menace you are to be able to make that rock crack?" Jiang Wanyin raised an eyebrow, as if he knew what he said was irrefutable.

"Ai. What do you mean 'menace'? Genius is what you want to say." Wei Wuxian retorted.

A vein seemed to have popped on Jiang Wanyin's forehead but Wei Wuxian had already darted away from him. Swinging an arm around Nie Huaisang who had been following behind them, Wei Wuxian quickly walked ahead.

"Ah, Huaisang. You remember that book I borrowed? Yeah..., I kind of got it torn by accident."

"Huh? But... that was a limited-edition from that artist..."

"Don't be sad. Don't be sad. This brother Wei will buy drinks in town today. Let's go. Let's go."

"Oi! Don't just walk off!" Jiang Wanyin followed behind the two while also cursing them in some profanities.

The three enjoyed themselves in Caiyi town that day. Jiang Wanyin and Nie Huaisang, being the successors of their clans, were mostly obedient to the rules and made sure to go back to Cloud Recesses by sunset, which was the end of their allotted time outside.

Wei Wuxian who wanted to stay out late was dragged back in by Jiang Wanyin and Nie Huaisang and was unable to run amok. However, it did not matter when it was late at night. Both Jiang Wanyin and Nie Huaisang drank a lot in the evening and fell too deep into their sleep to notice a certain black-robed boy sneak out of their rooms.

This boy was sleek and was already out of Cloud Recesses in a few seconds. No one noticed him.

Not long after the boy left, another boy his age but one draped in white robes began to patrol around the premises. A white scabbard concealing a pale blue sword hangs from his waist while one of his hands holds up an umbrella. Coincidentally or not, there was a drizzle of rain falling on Cloud Recesses that night.

The rain and the night shift reminded the white-robed boy of the mischievous new disciple he met when the latter first came here, causing his brows to frown visibly. It was true that his mind had been troubled over the board by this menace of a disciple but what troubled him more was in his other hand.