Chapter Twenty-Eight

Start from the beginning

Dan was helping Emma on with her coat as she answered the elf. "Yes, I want you to take Dan and I to Hogwarts."

"Missis is going to Hogwarts? Dobby and Darla thought youse were coming home…"

"We just want to surprise Hermione and Harry."

"Does Missis want Darla to fetch Dobby?"

"No, Darla, I want you to take Dan and I to Hogwarts."

After being issued an order by her family, Darla had to comply. She popped both of them to the castle.

Walking into the great hall, Emma spotted her target within seconds. Hermione was running straight to her, then she would carry out her orders. When Hermione suspiciously stopped, Emma was left with no option but to act. Her arm flashed out and the blade opened Hermione's cheek to the bone. Seeing all the blood, Emma was about to stab herself when she suddenly couldn't move. That was the last thing she remembered.

-oOo-

Everyone listening now felt nothing but sympathy for this mother, forced to try and murder her child. Amelia had one more question. "Did you know the blades were coated with some kind of poison?"

Even under the neutralising influence of the truth serum, it was impossible to miss how big an impact that news had on Emma. She barely managed a 'no' before becoming hysterical again.

-oOoOo-

Harry was of course beside Hermione's bed. Hermione didn't know this however, having been placed in stasis the instant Madam Pomfrey had detected there was some dark poison at the site of the wound. It not only thwarted her attempt at healing the large gash but was actively attacking Hermione's body. She was now in stasis, and the left side of her face was swathed in bandages.

Sirius, Susan and Luna were there too though Harry's attention was currently focused on the smallest pair of visitors. Dobby had his arms around a sobbing Darla but the male elf's anger at the current situation was probably only matched by that of Harry.

"Darla, You did what Emma asked you to. You then warned Dobby you thought something was wrong. Dobby froze Emma and Dan the instant they attacked Hermione, allowing us to cast stunners. Do you think Dobby or me were too slow to react?"

"Oh no sir. You and Dobby were wonderful."

"So were you, Darla. Your warning bought Dobby and me the time to act. There were a lot of mistakes made here, we all got too comfortable and let our guard down. We'll sit down and discuss this as a family when Hermione is back with us."

As hard as he tried, Harry couldn't keep the tremor out of his voice as he said that last bit. Emma's loud shrieks of Hermione's name however pushed everything else to the back of his mind.

"I'll need to go and see Emma. Sirius, can you and the girls stay with Hermione?"

All three quickly said they would before Harry issued what were nothing less than orders. "Dobby, protect Hermione. Nobody but Madam Pomfrey or us to get anywhere near her. Anyone who wants to argue, stun first and we'll deal with it when I come back. Darla, please come with me."

Nodding, Dobby then issued an order of his own. "Darla, protect our family. We don't know if anyone else was involved in this."

Now having an important job to do, Darla's tears quickly stopped. Walking over to Harry, he held his hand out. Harry walked to the area of the infirmary where Emma was being questioned holding the elf's hand - with both elf and wizard drawing comfort from the contact.

The aurors of course spotted their entrance, their boss waving the pair in ended any concerns they might have had. That changed when the woman on the bed implicated Snape in the attack, the magic appeared to be pouring out of the boy. Amelia's hand on his arm calmed him somewhat, as did his clear concern for the woman answering the questions.