Moment of silence past between the two cousins, Mackenzie finally breaks the silence, "I'm lost. Did I know about what?"
Nick sighs and then puts his head in his hands, "Did you know that my mom did care for me? That she's been fighting for custody all these years?"
"Look Nick..."
"You knew as well, am I just the last person to know and instead I'm left in a shitty house with a shitty excuse of deadbeat father."
"I'm sorry Nick, it's just my dad told me he thought you knew and you'd didn't want contact with her... he said she wrote and wrote and you never wrote back. My dad was afraid that if he got involved your dad would make it look like his brother and baby mama were having an an affair." Mackenzie exhales as Nick takes in what she's said.
He sits quietly not knowing what to say, "Speak to me please Nick."
"I want to know her, not the headlines or the magazines the real her. My dad got rid of the letters she sent me. I've never seen a single one in my life." Nick tells his cousin honestly.
"Okay. We can do this we can sort it, I'm sure my dad or mom or even pops has her address somewhere. I'll help you get in contact with her. I promise."

~~~~~~~~~~~————~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick was once again avoiding going to glee club rehearsal when he heard Mr Schue had then wearing wigs and doing crazy dancing. He wasn't in the mood for one of the teachers crazy moments of what he'd class as sheer genius and later realise it's a crazy mistake. Instead he'd been busy focusing on avoiding  home as much as possible and working shifts at breadsticks. He was walking down the corridor heading to his science lesson when he heard the voice of the Spanish/glee teacher call out his name. He turned quickly looking at the teacher, "Look Mr Schue. I don't need a lecture about missing glee club, I'm just having a bad week and need a bit of space."
"Nick that's not why I was looking for you, I just came to see if you were okay." The teacher looks at his student.
"I've had better days, weeks, whatever I just need to get some things sorted and it'll be okay. I have to go Mr Schue but I'll come to rehearsal soon." Nick tells the teacher who nods at him in response.

"Ahh Mr Henley you are late... I thought we broke out of these bad habits?" The science teacher asks, Nick hurriedly walks towards his seat next to Quinn who is staring at... Puck in the back who usually skips this class.
"Sorry sir." Nick mumbles out.
"Detention tomorrow after school." The teacher tells him, as Nick accepts his fate.
"Well thanks Nick that's ruined my plans." Quinn whispers to him, as he looks at her confused.
"Why does me having a detention ruin your plans?" Nick asks completely bewildered by the girl.
"Because... because." Quinn stutters, but is cut off by Nick, "Jesus spit it out Fabray." She glares at him but continues on, "Because Henley I wanted you to hang out with Finn so I could have a girly night. Believe it or not it's hard living with a teenage boy, but I guess you wouldn't know in your palace." Nick let's out a bitter laugh.
"What? The pool table and king size bed not enough for you." Nick doesn't reply and stands up storming out of the class, he doesn't know why but he can't stand to hear his home life be referred to as some luxury. Don't get the boy wrong he knew his house would be anyones dream but his actual home life was hell.

~~~~~~~~~~~————~~~~~~~~~~~

On Friday night Nick had his detention, his head was down on the table when he hears the sound of footsteps walking towards his desk.
"Mr Henley you are in detention for a reason, it is not to sleep. Now if you lift your head up and follow me to my office you will be completing the rest of your detention in there." The uncharacteristically stern voice of coach Williams shocks him. Nick lifts his head up and grabs his bag following after the coach who swiftly left the room. Nick reaches his office and the coach is facing out the window. Without glancing at the boy he tells him to sit, Nick does what he is told.
The coach slowly turn and looks at the boy, "Nick I'm worried about you. You're not yourself. You seem angry, agitated, like you're going to flip out at any second. You've missed glee rehearsal all week and you've been on the ice that much I'm scared you're going to get an injury." The coach takes a deep breath, seeing that the boy is looking anywhere but at him, "Look if you don't tell me what's wrong I can't force it out of you, but I want you to know Nick. I'm here, I'll always be here for you iceman okay?" Nick looks up and nods at the coach, then makes his way towards the door. He hesitates for a moment about telling the coach everything but goes against it. Though the boy's hesitation does not go unnoticed by his coach.