"I am aware of the stories, yes," he answers, irritation leaking into his tone.

"Then what do you plan to do to avoid that fate?" She watches him look around as if the answer will appear out of thin air. She rolls her eyes as her annoyance begins to grow. Mortals never think anything through. "How can you fight someone you can't look at?"

"I can keep my eyes on the ground," he answers, too much pride in his voice that it would succeed. "I can't be turned to stone if I don't look at her face."

"Foolish," she shakes her head. "You cannot fight what you cannot see. She is no mortal. She has a tail, you won't hear her footsteps. You won't know where to not look. There is only one way to stop her."

"What is it then?"

Athena materializes a shield and slowly hands it to him. She watches as he eyes his reflection in the surface before looking back at her. She watches as realization settles on his features when he finally catches on.

"The reflection," he mutters as he runs a hand over the smooth metal. "Will her powers not work through a reflection?" he questions. Athena stares at him blankly as he continues to talk. She wouldn't have given him this solution if it wouldn't have worked. "How will I protect my companions though? Will you have a give them shields as well?"

"No, I will not," she answers immediately. "You will have to go alone. If you are so worried about saving them and allowing them a chance to return home to their families, then you must go tonight."

"Go alone? I'll be vulnerable if I go on my own!"

Athena's gaze hardens. "I will not stand here and fluff your ego, Perseus," she hisses as she backs away. "I have given you what you need, and told you that you need to finish this journey alone to save your companions. I have no more for you."

Before he can say anything else, she turns and allows her body to shift into an owl. She flies away with a deafening screech. She allows the winds to carry her back home in hopes that Perseus does not become one of the many who are slayed by the beast. Her feet land on the solid ground of her room and she turns to watch as Perseus makes his way toward the cave.

"Always sticking your nose where it doesn't belong," Ares voice drifts from deep into the room. She rolls her eyes as she turns to face her brother. The harsh glare aimed her way does little to raise her anger. She learned long ago to not give in to Ares whims. "Why are you trying to save that mortal from Medusa? Let him turn to stone like the rest."

"I care not if the mortal lives," she replies as she turns her attention away from her brother. She hears the irritated huff as she turns her back on him and smirks. "I care only that Medusa is stopped. She has killed enough."

"She's only killed because, yet again, you stuck your nose where it doesn't belong," he sneers as he comes to a stop beside her. She glances over at him, watching as he crosses his arms over his chest, his eyes trained on Perseus as well. "Why not let her wreak havoc? Who cares what happens to the mortals?"

"Considering our existence truly does depend on the mortals, we should care what happens to them," she answers. "I did not turn her into what she is now for her to kill everyone in her sight."

"Maybe you shouldn't have turned her into something that is so lethal then."

"And maybe our uncle should have known better than to violate one of my priestess inside my own temple. He is just as much to blame for this as I am," she seethes at him. Poseidon gets away with everything because he is one of the big three. Athena hates it. If she were to be honest with herself, she hates him.

"You can hate him and you can blame him all you want, Athena," he whispers as he turns to leave the room. He stops at the door and turns back to her. "You were the one who decided to change her into what she is today. You created this destruction. Maybe it's time you learn to live with it."

Athena bristles as he leaves the room. She is well aware who is responsible for her killing, but none of this would have happend if Poseidon wouldn't have set everything in motion. She hates that he hides behind his title. She hates that everyone looks to her when Medusa slays again.

She turns her attention back to Earth as the sound of hissing fills her ears. She watches as Perseus uses the shield to guide his way, sword ready in his hand. Medusa moves around him, preparing to strike. She usually kills everyone by turning them to stone, but that is not the only thing lethal about her. She's as swift and deadly as any warrior down there. The difference is she doesn't care who she's killing.

Perseus watches her closely from the reflection, seeing her every move. Medusa strikes, but Persues closes his eyes and quickly turns, sword in his outstretched hand to strike. Wanting this to be over, Athena guides his sword to hit its mark. The metal meets the skin of her neck and slices true.

The screech fills her ears as the cut is made. Loud and full of hate and pain. Athena cringes away from the sound, fearing it will forever haunt her.

***

Ava jerks upright in bed as the sound of a screech echoes inside her head. The visual of the head being decapitated lingers. She shivers as she looks around the unfamialar room. Where the fuck is she? A hand reaches out and she jumps, almost falling off the bed in the process.

"Fuck," Garrett curses as he reaches to catch her. "Ava," he says as he pulls her into his hold. The scent of him surrounds her and she feels herself starting to relax. She's with him. She's safe. It was just another dream. "You okay, darlin'?"

"I'm fine," whispers as she settles deeper into his hold. He relaxes into the bed, sleep overtaking him again. Ava lays in his arms in silence. She waits for the sleep to come back, but she's unsurprised when it never happens. She presses herself further against him as she listens to the steady sound of breathing as he sleeps until the alarm for her to get up goes off.