And she'd become an incredibly astute business major, in the hopes that she could provide for herself.

It was, seemingly, much more noble than Ryujin's history of wealth and overbearing family.

Ryujin glanced at the way the light illuminated the amber flecks in Yeji's eyes. She was breathtaking, but Ryujin had no more air left in her lungs to spend looking at Yeji. She'd suffocate before she could ever be sated.

"I would." Ryujin pressed earnestly.

Yeji glanced up with a small smile of appreciation.

"Besides..." Ryujin leaned forward, wearing a smirk. "Don't tell her I told you, but... I think the foster girl's pretty hot."

Ryujin smirked when Yeji's cheeks flushed, and she dodged a pen that came flying her way from Yeji's swift throw.

Ryujin knew humor was the quickest way to segue out of those conversations with Yeji. They'd had a few, over the year, but... something told Ryujin, Yeji was never fully ready to open up.

Ryujin respected that.

"So..." Ryujin drawled out, re-setting the pieces on her side. "Who was winning that last match there? You, or you?"

"Shut up." Yeji rolled her eyes. "It... relaxes me."

Ryujin let out an amused chuckle. "Your chess is my art."

Yeji smiled, blinking in surprise. "I'd hardly claim to be that good."

It was Ryujin's turn to blush heavily, looking away suddenly. "Thanks but... I don't think the rest of the world shares your sentiments."

Yeji frowned. "What makes you say that?"

Ryujin shrugged sadly, eyes finding a knight on the chessboard to be particularly interesting. "It's not really... getting me anywhere, you know? I wish... I'd been a pragmatist, like you, and went to business school. At least then I wouldn't be pathetically relying on my parents..."

Yeji shook her head, cutting her off. "Ryujin." The way she spoke, so sharply and eloquently enunciating the name, gave Ryujin chills. "Don't." she warned.

"Don't what?" Ryujin sighed, watching her friend, eyes falling to the dust particles between them, illuminated by rays of the afternoon sun, bleeding meticulously into the apartment from the window.

"Don't doubt yourself." Yeji spoke in a gentle, even tone. "There's nothing better than just taking a chance. I don't want to say follow your heart, because that'd just be... trite, but really. What you're doing is admirable."

Ryujin lifted a brow in surprise.

"You're doing what you love, without fear of consequence. Without fear of how you'll appear to others, which.... is incredibly cool, by the way." Yeji murmured teasingly, causing Ryujin to mirror her smile. "I guess... I'm trying to say that.... I envy you. You get dreams and smiles and art... while I have pragmatism and boring suits and business calls."

Ryujin let out a light, delicate, breathy little laugh that sent Yeji over the edge.

"Let's uh..." Yeji cleared her throat, shifting awkwardly. "Let's play."

Ryujin's features were wiped, a smirk in their stead. "I'll have you know; I was in chess club in high school."

Yeji glanced up, eyes widening in surprise. "Seriously?" She gasped.

Ryujin nearly fell over in her self-induced laughter. "No..." She grinned, recovering slowly.

Yeji rolled her eyes and gave Ryujin the courtesy of the first move.