chapter seven

The next day, Kaz's plan–that he conveniently had yet to explain to anyone–was set into motion.

Everyone started early in the morning, each having their own set duties. Inej and Elham finished first, waiting for Wylan and Jesper to return. When they finally did, Inej and Elham went to find Kaz to let him know they were ready for the next step.

They found him in an upstairs room of an inn, sitting in a chair as he stared passively out the window. He had a pen in his hands, flicking his fingers in a way that made the pen disappear from sight. Elham watched in awe, as if she hadn't seen him do it a million times before. Sleight of hand was always a trick she wished she had mastered, valuing Kaz's ability to use it just as much as she valued her own ability with a sword.

Inej broke the silence, pulling both Kaz and Elham from their thoughts. "Kaz, Wylan's brought the compound. Jesper's helping load it in."

Kaz nodded, standing. His face grew solemn, and if he was anyone else, he would have already keeled over from the sheer stress of knowing what was coming. He spoke sternly, willing his words to stick.

"Listen to me, the both of you. If the plan goes awry, you have to go. Inej, get out of the city as fast as you can, find your brother, and never look back. Elham...go with her. And if you can't find her, just go. Don't come back. That's an order. Promise me."

"What?" Elham asked, shaking her head. "You can't ask that of us."

"I can, and I will," Kaz retorted with determination. "Promise me."

Inej watched the exchange, and Elham could tell by the look on her face that she was at war with herself internally. On one hand, she'd finally be free to go find her family. The open seas, waiting for her. On the other, she'd be leaving behind the only family she had left, not knowing if her birth family was even out there waiting for her to come and find them. She kept quiet as Kaz and Elham argued, only speaking when Kaz asked them again to promise.

Inej took a breath, making her decision. "I can promise you only that Pekka will beg for his death."

She was gone before anyone could speak. The room was left in silence after her absence, and neither Elham or Kaz could muster up the words to fill it. Elham turned back around to look at him, her eyes softening as she remembered what he was asking of her. If it went to shit, he wanted her to go. He wanted her to leave him. It was bold–and maybe ignorant–of him to believe that she'd ever truly listen to him if it ever came down to having to fulfill her promise. If promising him meant that she'd have to leave his side, then it would be a promise she'd have to break. And if that was the case, then why promise him anything at all? Inej was right to only promise what she did, and Elham followed in her footsteps.

"If you think I'm going to leave–regardless of anything that happens–you've gone mad."

Kaz sighed, fighting her words. "El, please–"

"No!" She cut him off, determined to make him hear her. "I won't go. My family is here. You're here. I won't abandon any of you just to save myself. I can promise you this, Kaz. If it all goes to shit, I'll make sure Inej gets out. I'll do what I can to make sure we all get as far away from here as possible. But if you're asking me to leave any of you behind, I won't do it. You can't ask that of me. Not you."

Kaz wanted to fight her. He wanted to scream at her. Scream, shout, and yell himself hoarse, anything to scare her into leaving. It was bad enough that he was putting all the Crows at risk just for the sake of taking down an enemy. And it was selfish to want them by his side when he finally did manage to take Pekka down, but Saints, he wanted them by his side. He wanted her by his side.