Unfortunate

· Harry's P.O.V ·

Everyday in Harry’s life was getting more and more boring the longer he stayed waiting. Roy barely came home anymore, and while he could’ve been doing something, anything, he was instead watching a child.

He felt like he could do better, and there was some sort of understanding on why he felt like this.

Roy told him that he would be important for the show. If he was so important, why wasn’t he told to do something for it? Why did Roy just leave him to sit around and barely do anything at all? He kept telling himself that the time would come, and that Roy would eventually ask something of him to do, something that wasn’t watching Doi. Now, Doi was a good kid, everything Harry thought wasn’t against him specifically. It was just frustrating when things like this happen to him.

But overtime, Harry became doubtful, tired, utterly done with being patient. He couldn’t do anything about it, he needed to stay, according to Roy. And it would be too late to leave anyway, Doi got attached to Harry, and Robin now saw him as a friend. He didn’t know what to do, and he would feel awful if he left them both. I guess you could say he was depressed.

So here Harry was now, sitting at the dining table. Both him and Robin were assisting Doi with a crossword that was found on the back of a cereal box. Doi had been slightly more down lately as well, and when Robin and Harry confronted him on his strange behavior, he simply said that he misses his dad. It wouldn’t be hard to believe considering how rarely Roy came over to visit nowadays. It was actually quite pathetic and depressing.

Doi poked at a line of five empty boxes, and mouthed something that was unintelligible.

Harry looked at the yellow boy's finger, asking, “Pardon?”

And he repeated himself, “Horse.”

“Ah. Is that what’s supposed to be there?”

Doi ignored the question. “I really don’t like horses, their feet can stomp you into a puddle.”

“That’s- I suppose horse feet are quite unsettling.”

An unanticipated knock was heard at the door, and Harry straightened his posture to seek the door's presence. That could only be one person, and he knew. Unless it was some other weird person that the old man invited with no warning. Jeez, would he hate that.

Harry sat up at the table, and announced, “I’ll get it.”

He rushed away from the table, semi-eager to open the door.

It ended up being Roy as he expected, and he needed to deliver something to him. A letter. He really is just that nonverbal. He couldn’t just tell Harry what he needed to say?

Harry stared at the letter, feeling a sense of aspiration. If this was what he was waiting for, then he had been wrong. Things do take time, after all.

Harry thanked him, the hair in front of him blowing slightly.

“Thank you.”

Doi, like he did when Robin first arrived,

“Dad’s home! Dad’s home!” He exclaimed. Harry saw why he would be excited. If he had to spend half of the time without his dad, he would have been over the moon to see him too. Well, if he had a dad, but he couldn’t remember, nor could he care to. Harry semi-hoped that Roy would stay for a little while, he did have some questions worth asking after all.

But no, Roy turned away from the door and left, barely even acknowledging the fact his son was there happy to see him. But Doi seemed even more confused about the situation. He looked between Harry and the doorway many times, before asking.

“Where’s he going? Is he getting something?”

Harry didn’t know either, offering a shrug as a response. But it looked like he was going to leave for another long while, which was unfortunate considering both the facts that he barely visited anymore, and how Harry would have to wait even longer for him to get answers.

When Roy hadn’t returned almost half an hour later, Doi started whining at the dining table. It was obvious he was mostly upset that Roy hadn’t even said a simple hello to him, which would’ve been a small thing worth saying. But he didn’t, just leaving his son feeling disregarded, which would’ve been hard for anyone.

Robin was very sympathetic towards Doi, but he was very annoyed by his crying, which to him was the equivalent to a blow horn. So he doled out a sketchbook and crayons for him to distract himself.

Doi did end up ceasing the crying, though he had to start holding back salty tears when his feelings bubbled near the surface again. He wasn’t very happy for the rest of the day.

When Harry found it necessary, he went upstairs to read the letter Roy gave him, making sure he didn’t procrastinate too much to read it.

The hall was silent, the only ambience was the sound of the wind weeping outside the window. Harry made himself comfortable against the red wall of the hallway and read the letter to himself, slowly, to make sure he didn’t misread any bit of it.

“Sincere apologies for the long wait. I now have a request for you. Write a song about anything your mind can think of, have it something you would’ve loved to see in your life.”

That's..

That's it? This was bullshit.

Harry sighed, and he stood back up, despite just sitting down. This was a mess, and this was overwhelming. How long is this going to take?

Harry sighed, feeling slightly disheartened by the letter. Well, he supposed he didn’t really have anything else to do, now that he was stuck watching some kid and listening to the annoying quacking of a duck.

He’ll start writing later.