Chapter III

265

                                                                                                                                              265

The reach

Olenna Tyrell had taken Serelia Lannister under her wing. Serelia was learning from Olenna. She missed her mother. Olenna was like the grandmother she never had. It broke her heart. She never knew her grandmother. "Well, men are swayed by beauty. Women must be stronger. Some men are swayed. Some aren't swayed. Women are much than bearing children."

Serelia Lannister was dining with Olenna. "Where is the buttercream cake?" Janna Tyrell snorted at the new squire. Whoever sent him didn't warn him. Serelia bumped her newly made friend in the elbow.

"I thought it was too sweet for you." Olenna started laughing. "That bloody funny! I want something sweet. Go have the kitchen cooks make the cakes." "Yes, my lady, "He walked off to the kitchens. Olenna shook her head from side to side. "Idiot." Who raised these squires? Where are the bold ones? "Mother, Serelia likes to ride horses. Can you please tell her it's not ladylike?" Janna knew her mother would tell Serelia it was not ladylike. "I can't blame her. Who wants to be lifted all the time? "

"Mother," Janna had a scolding expression on her face. She was shocked. "Your father wishes for an alliance with House Lannister. He wants to marry you to Gerrick Lannister. Serelia, how will your brother treat my daughter?" Serelia found herself not backing down under Olenna's gaze. "He will treat her like a queen." Serena had drilled in her son's heads that their wives would be their partners.

Olenna snorted. "It's hard to find boys like that. Your mother is a smart woman." The squire was walking towards them with a tray. "Now I can have my sweet," Olenna smiled sweetly at the squire. She shooed him away with her hand. Olenna gave the girls a fair amount of buttercream cake. "Your girls have lessons. I want the two of you to listen and obey.

Septa Della was a young woman. She didn't wear a shawl coving her hair. She was from Lys. She had been a gift to Lady Olenna. "Do any of you know the word Sophrosyne?" She looked around at the noble girls. "Innocent," Serelia said. "Close. It means purity. Nothing is wrong with being innocent, but some people find them boring. It okay to be pure but be intellectual and coy."

"Shouldn't we know how to defend ourselves?" Her mother allowed Serelia to learn how to handle a sword. "There is nothing wrong with it. We need to prepare for the masquerade." Della helped her two chargers prepare for the masquerade. She took the girls to the sept to pray. Della was grateful to the gods.

 Serena Lannister smiled at her daughter. Genna had planned a surprise for her favorite niece. Serelia danced effortlessly in the ivory. Mela Redewnye Genna's daughter. She was becoming Serelia's confidant."What is the Arbor like? I have never been." "It's great. The water is so blue. There are so many types of fish," Mela said.