Chapter 1: Introduction and Context

"Heart of Darkness" is a novella written by Joseph Conrad and first published in 1899. The story is set in the late 19th century and follows the journey of Charles Marlow, a sailor and narrator, who is sent on a mission to the Congo river in Africa to find the elusive ivory trader, Kurtz. The novella is widely considered as a masterpiece of modernist literature and has been the subject of much analysis and critical acclaim.

The novella is set during the colonial period in Africa, a time when European powers were expanding their empires and exploiting the natural resources of the continent. Conrad's work explores the theme of colonialism and its impact on both the colonizers and the colonized. The story is also a critique of the brutal and inhumane treatment of the African people by the European colonizers.

The novella's significance lies in its portrayal of the human psyche, particularly the darkness that resides within the hearts of men. Conrad's vivid descriptions of the natural surroundings and the characters' experiences serve to highlight the themes of power, corruption, and human depravity.

Despite being over a century old, "Heart of Darkness" continues to resonate with readers today, particularly in its exploration of themes related to imperialism, race, and human nature. It has been adapted into numerous works, including films, television series, and stage productions, and has inspired many other writers and artists.