⠀ five. i'll be right back...

Start from the beginning

"Hmm," nodded Mateo, although he was blatantly half asleep. Nancy smirked, short chuckle escaping her chapped lips. Palms meeting her thighs, the young agent forced herself onto her feet

"Want anything?"

"Hmm?" repeated the elder Chavez, needing a few moments to process the words leaving his sister's mouth. He sighed again, rubbing his eyes as she ran a hand through tangled bedhead, "Uh, no... no, I'm good, thanks,"

"Cool," nodded the younger Chavez, using her brother's sleepiness to her advantage as she stole a dollar from his jacket pocket. Yet to make it out of the room, the final girl grinned, fingertips hanging on the doorframe as she called, "Hey..." mockingly turning serious, Nancy put on her best exaggerated low-budget actor voice, "I'll be right back,"

But Mateo didn't seem to find it funny in the slightest (which was fair enough considering they were less than 24 hours from their near-death experience).

"Really?" he frowned, head shaking in disbelief yet still, somehow, he was blatantly trying to hide a smile. Nancy could sense this, of course, yet to turn back to seriousness as she argued,

"Eddie would have laughed," glancing fondly at their brother, Nancy tried not to focus on the machine replicating the beat of his heart. Mateo's smile, too, began to fade, gaze following his sister's once joyful eyes.

"Yeah..." he trailed off, transparent efforts to remain the strongest of the two hadn't gone unnoticed by his little sister. Deciding not to press further, Nancy, hands in the pockets of her zipped-up hoodie, left him be.

─────

The breakroom was hardly a long walk from her brother's hospital room. And, just as she had suspected, was completely empty. The exit sign above the doorway she entered through flickered dimly, the only sound in the room the high-pitched buzz of electricity.

Nancy flinched when the silence was suddenly filled by the loud, monotonous ringing of her cell phone. She'd meant to change her ringtone since the first Ghostface call. To something a little less of a jumpscare, because she couldn't help but suspect he'd call her again.

UKNOWN NUMBER.

Of course. Maybe she should listen to her brother. Answering the call is what sent them to the hospital in the first place. But the bastard had made it far too personal. There was not a soul in the world Nancy would put before her baby brother. And whoever this wannabe Ghostface was, they were gonna pay.

Thumb hitting that glowing green button once again, Nancy remained silent as she brought the phone to her ear

"Hello, Nancy..."

The taunting tone fuelled Nancy's anger more than it did her fear, "You fucked up, you know," she spat, fingertips trembling with rage.

"Or maybe this is just what I wanted all along. To watch you suffer,"

Nancy whirled around cautiously at his word choice.

Watch her suffer.

There was a very real chance that he could see her right now, and Nancy was unarmed and wounded and was beginning to question her chances of survival if attacked again. She hadn't meant to allow her emotions to get the better of her. To retaliate like a threatened, wounded animal, "Or maybe you're some limp dick Tommy Miller wannabe that's in way over his head now you've decided to fuck with the big guns,"