⠀ four. everybody's a suspect

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

˚⋆ ┊ TWO GHOSTS ┊ ⋆˚
☆⋅⋆ ─ act i. in the place of you and me

CHAPTER FOUR — everybody's a suspect

monsters are real, and ghosts are real too.
they live inside us, and sometimes, they win.
STEPHEN KING

HOSPITALS HAD BECOME A PLACE WITH WHICH NANCY WAS RATHER FAMILIAR. Whether she was the one in the bed, visiting somebody, questioning a victim. The bland lighting and medical terms had stopped fazing her a long time ago.

Nancy recalled as much as she could during the ride in the ambulance. Difficult as it was recalling such fresh trauma, she knew it was vital for the BAU to know exactly what had happened. Meaning she had barely any time to rest in the time it took for them to wheel her from the ambulance to a hospital bed. Adrenaline once coursing through her veins wearing down, all the blood she'd lost in putting up such a fight was beginning to catch up with her. Slipping in and out of consciousness, she still had to answer the usual series of invasive questions from doctors and cops, and agents alike.

The thing she was grateful to hear most of all, more than any lead, any new suspect, was that her brothers were alive.

Eddie was alive.

He wasn't awake, and considering her own wounds it would be rather difficult for her to be taken to see him, but at the very least she knew he was alive. That her actions hadn't led to her losing her baby brother.

It was a fucking miracle.

After an hour or so, the room was emptied, and Nancy could breathe again. Hospitals were never truly quiet. Patients complaining, doctors running, nurses aiding, machines beeping. But we're talking about a girl that grew up in the middle of Brooklyn. Where she came from, you learned to tune out the noise or you didn't sleep.

Not that Nancy could sleep that night anyway. Traumas, new and old, amalgamated into nightmarish visions every time her eyes would dare to flutter closed. She hadn't realized how much time had passed during what felt like mere minutes of trying to fall asleep until she felt a gentle warmth resting upon her cheeks. The blend of pink and orange seeped through the blinds as the rising sun became an unwelcome reminder of her lack of sleep. Accepting defeat, Nancy let out a short sigh, finally deciding to take in her surroundings.

With all the tossing and turning in the dark, failed attempts at falling asleep, Nancy hadn't noticed her best friend (who, in all honesty, had a much better excuse for being utterly traumatized than she did) curled up and fast asleep in the chair beside her bed. Careful not to rip her stitches, Nancy decided to finally follow a small piece of advice that had come from somebody other than herself.