Fishing really? Out of anything but we're going to make it.

Chapter Six -

He tosses the bomb at some churning earth and dives back into the semi trailer. "Keep your heads down!" Burt yelled out to the group and covered Allea. KABOOM! The explosion throws up a big plume of dust and rocks. We hear a new, very strange sound of pain from the creatures. The semi trailer instantly stops shaking. The creatures have stopped digging. All is quiet.

The people peer up over the edge of the semi trailer, looking all around. "There they are!" Pointing where they are going. Numerous spurts of dust mark their paths as they race madly away, fanning out from the semi trailer.

"Hey, Burt...did you get one...!" Miguel said.

"No, there's still three of them. See...there's like four different dust trails." Rhonda said pointing at the different trails.

"Sure got their attention, though. Nice going, Burt." Val said to Burt, and turned to Earl "Earl, what about the Cat?"

Earl's already staring down at the bulldozer." No way. It's down for the count."

Val looks around. Toward the cliffs he sees a big rock outcrop. Rhonda points in the opposite direction from where Val is looking. "Here they come! They're coming back!" Rhonda yelled out seeing them moving back to them.

Heather unexpectedly fires two deafening blasts from her elephant gun at the approaching creatures, then shakes her head, frustrated. They're still coming.

"Come on, everybody! We gotta run for those rocks over there!" Val said, "Jesus, Val, it's pretty far." Earl said back to him looking at the rock.

"Yeah, man! They'll get us!" Melvin said moving around. "There sure as hell will get us if we stay here!" Val said.

"Wait, wait, listen. Burt do you have any more of those things?" Allea said, moving close to Burt.

"The bombs? Damn right I do." Burt said to her, smiling.

"Well, what if you throw one that way, the way we want to go?" Allea said points toward rocks, "Then, when the explosion happens...if it drives them away again...we all run like goddamn bastards!" then turn to Earl "Pardon my French."

Wham! With a jolt the semi trailer begins shaking and shuddering again sinking. "What if it doesn't scare them? What if they don't run?" Melvin said scared.

"I don't think it does scare them! It hurts them! They're so sensitive to sound, they have to run! It hurts too much!" Allea yelled out to them. Glances all around.

"She's got my vote." Burt said, "Right. We're gonna run. Get ready." Val said.

"I don't know, man. They're too fast! You can't outrun them, no way!" Melvin said, As Burt readied another bomb, he paused to hand bug-eyed Melvin a huge Ruger Super Redhawk 44 magnum handgun. "Here, kid. This'll make'em think twice." Burt said to him. Melvin's eyes bug out further. Burt lights his bomb.

"Heads down!!" Burt yelled out. He hurls the bomb. Wait. Wait. WHOOOM! Again we hear the creatures' unearthly shriek of pain. Allea on her feet before the rocks stop falling. She spots the creatures. "It worked! There they go!" She yelled out.

"LET'S DO IT!" Val yelled out, Earl let out a war wild WHOOP. It's infectious. crane up with them as everyone piles out of the semi trailer like soldiers out of a trench they charge across no-man's-land. Burts help Allea out of the trailer as she was hurt already.

Melvin runs like a demon. He tries to shoot at the first thing he sees but the gun just clicks over and over empty. "Burt, you bastard!" Melvin yelled out to Burt. Allea cuckles at him.