Chapter 8: Agatha's Mistake

Start from the beginning

"I don't know how these princesses don't get exhausted constantly caring about what man they'll get to serve after they leave this dreaded school," Agatha groaned. "How have you been getting along?"

"Good. I've just been going to classes and making sure to stay out of trouble. It's best to suck up to everyone before we try to get out of this place," Y/n replied.

"I heard some princesses talking about that boy Tedros earlier. It seems like he's quite the character."

"Oh trust me. I know," Y/n said, rolling her eyes. "He likes to follow people around like a lost puppy."

"I haven't seen him follow anyone around. He's normally the one who's being followed," Agatha said, raising a brow. "Has he been following you?"

Before Y/n could reply, Princess Uma arrived with the class. She looked far too young to be a teacher. She moved past the girls and sat down in front of them. Nestled in prim grass, backlit by lake shimmer, she sat very still, hands folded in her pink dress, with black hair to her waist, olive skin, almond-shaped eyes, and crimson lips pursed in a tight O. When she did speak, it was in a giggly whisper, but she couldn't make it through a full sentence. Every few words, she'd stop to listen to a distant fox or dove and respond with her own giddy howl or chirp. When she realized

she had a whole class staring at her, she cupped her hands over her face.

"Oops!" she tee-heed. "I have too many friends!"

"I can't tell if she's nervous or just an idiot," Agatha mumbled.

Y/n smacked her arm and Agatha let out a quiet "ow."

"Evil has many weapons on its side," said Princess Uma, finally settling down. "Poisons, plagues, curses, hexes, henchmen, and black, black magic. But you have animals!"

Everyone around Y/n seemed to be unsure about what Princess Uma was saying. When it came to fighting a monster in the forest, little forest creatures would definitely be useful. Not. Princess Uma noticed that everyone seemed to doubt her. The teacher unleashed a piercing whistle and a barrage of barks, bays, neighs, and roars blasted from the Woods beyond the schools. The girls plugged their ears in shock.

"See!" Uma chuckled. "Every animal can talk to you if you know how to talk to them. Some even remember when they were human!"

Y/n felt a twinge of sadness when she remembered what happened to certain students if they didn't become royalty or a partner to royalty. The fear of becoming one of them started to become real.

"I know everyone wants to be a princess," said Uma, "but those of you with low ranks won't make good princesses. You'd end up shot or stabbed or eaten and that's not very useful. But as a sidekick fox or spying sparrow or friendly pig, you might find a much happier ending!"

She squeaked through her teeth, and on cue, an otter bobbed to shore from the lake, balancing a jeweled storybook on its nose. "You might keep a captive maiden company or lead her to safety," Uma said, holding out her hands. The nervous otter bumped the book on his nose to find the right page.

"Or you might help make a ball gown," Uma said, eyeing the bumbling creature. "Or you might deliver an urgent message or... ahem!" With a yip, the otter found the page, slid the book into her hands, and collapsed from stress.

"You might even save a life," said Uma, holding up a brilliant painting of a princess cowering as a stag speared a warlock. The princess looked just like her.

"Once upon a time, an animal saved mine and in return, it received the happiest ending of all."

Suddenly all of the girls realized that this wasn't just some woman who was teaching their class, this was a living, breathing princess.