𝟬𝟲. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟬𝟲. 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁

 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗽𝗮𝘀𝘁 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗮𝘁 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘁

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Maxine Hicks sat on the floor in her bedroom. In her hands was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban — Maxine's favorite book, and the only book Maxine had signed. As a birthday present for Maxine's fourteenth birthday, Wes got the book signed by Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson. It's safe to say it's Maxine's most prized possession.

As she flipped the page, there was a knock at the door. "Is it safe to enter?" Wes inquired from behind the door. Maxine hummed to herself. "Yes, dofus!" Maxine responded, though her gaze didn't leave the book pages. Wes sauntered into his sister's room, keeping his gaze steady; the last thing he wanted to see was her fan girl wall.

"Are you still mad at me?" Wes asked, taking a seat beside Maxine on the ground. "Mad at you? Why would I be mad at you?" Maxine murmured slightly. "I know you wanted to spend the night with Sabrina, Mindy, Liv and Amber, but, Max, there's a killer out there. One of them could be the killer. Mom and I couldn't risk that."

Maxine closed her book. "I get that. I really do," Maxine told him. She shrugged, "I just want this shit to be over." Wes nodded in agreement. He placed his hand on his sister's knee. Maxine placed her hand over his, then rested her head on his shoulder. "We need to start planning your birthday," Maxine said, Wes groaned, not wanting to focus on that.

"I've been telling you for weeks that I don't want a party," Wes responded, causing Maxine to roll her eyes. "Luckily, you have no party. We'll just go to dinner and have cake," Maxine told him. Wes leaned forward, furrowing his eyebrows. "No party?" Wes asked, skeptically. Maxine shook her head. "Nope. I know you, no party," she hummed.

Footsteps approached Maxine's room. Wes instinctively stood up, standing in front of Maxine, who stood up a few seconds later. Judy walked into the room, a knife in her hand. "Jesus, mom!" Maxine and Wes said simultaneously. "I thought I heard something," Judy told them, lowering the knife. "You mean beside your two children?" Maxine deadpanned.

"Are you two being safe out there?" Judy asked. She had yet to tell Wes or Maxine that one of the killers was dead. Lillian didn't want the word spread, Judy agreed to keep it under wraps. "To the point where all our friends, including Max, mock me," Wes said, pulling out a taser and pepper spray from his pocket.

"It's just cause I love you, you dofus," Maxine said, smiling up at him. Wes rolled his eyes. "If you love me, keep one of these on you," Wes said, holding out the taser and pepper spray. Maxine sighed, taking the taser and putting it in her sweatshirt's pocket. "Done," Maxine smiled. Wes nodded, then turned to face their mom, who looked proud.