Hear My Heart Chapter One

Start from the beginning

No one in my family had a successful marriage. I was I was very cynical when it comes to love and marriage. I was thirty years old and still single. I did not need a husband who would only leave my after some time. Plus, I was dedicated to my work. In fact I just got promoted.

I was pretty mad at the moment, but I knew I would eventually forgive Max for his humiliation someday. I just hope his love for that girl would somehow last.

I was about to drink when, from the corner of my eye, I saw a man checking me out. I looked at him. The man was sitting three stools away from me. He was wearing a black graffiti t-shirt and black jeans. He was also wearing canvass shoes.

Must be a rock star, I thought. Maybe he was with the band playing earlier. I was not used to seeing that kind of figure. It made me realize I was not in my world at the moment. I was not supposed to be here.

The guy was very handsome, in a rugged way. He was probably way more handsome than those well-groomed men I used to meet. A corner of his lips curved up into a lopsided smile. Even his smile was different. I was not used to being smiled at by men with that image, even though he looked harmless enough.

Wait, was he laughing at my outfit? I was wearing a white dress. My outfit didn’t actually look very appropriate for such a place. So that’s why people were looking at me weirdly. I was out of place.

I turned my back from him and took a drink. I pulled out my phone and called Jackson. My head was spinning and I wanted to lie down.

“Jackson?”

“Alex? What’s up?”

“Come get me here at. . . Here at. . .” I forgot the name of the bar. I looked around, hoping to find it. “At. . .”

“Rockflight,” someone said.

I turned to the guy earlier. He wasn’t smiling now.

“Rockflight,” he repeated. “You’re here at Rockflight Bar.” He drank from his bottle.

“Rockflight Bar,” I told Jackson. “Come here. Quick!”

“Rockflight?!” he said in shock. “What the hell are you doing there?!”

I rolled my eyes. I couldn’t blame him. I was a little shock with myself as well. “Just get me out of here.”

“Shouldn’t you be on your honeymoon? You got married, right?”

My mood darkened again after he said that.

“Alex? Is something wrong? What happened?”

“My marriage was called off.”

“What?! Why?!”

“He said he’s in love with that Harper, okay? He ran off from our wedding.”

“That bastard!”

“Come here and get me, Jackson. I wouldn’t be able to drive. I’m drunk and I feel sick.”

“Okay. Wait for me.”

“Just hurry up.” She pressed the end key.

“I’m sorry about your wedding.”

I turned to him. It was obvious he purposely moved near me. I snorted. “There is nothing to be sorry about. It’s not as of I love him, okay? And it’s not as if I love him.” I would have probably ignored him if I just wasn’t drunk. I was a self-confessed snob.

He looked confused. “You’re not marrying because of love?”

“I’m marrying because of money. Big bunch of money.”