"I'm little man now, Wren," he corrected with a disapproving frown, "not baby goose."

"Oh, pardon me," she murmured, flashing Declan a smile. "I'll try to remember in the future."

"Usually sets in around age twelve or thirteen and gets worse from there," Declan interjected with a playful grin curling his lips as he finished his pie and settled his left arm on the back of Wren's chair, making her heart increase its already frantic pace, "so you have a few years yet before Wren's fists'll get to itching."

"And then I'll get my own pie?"

"Now we see what he's really after," Emerson laughed.

"You excited you and Luella get to sleep in the cabin with us tonight, Eldon?" Mae asked, pushing her empty plate aside.

Eldon scrunched his nose and pursed his lips, a look of deep thought on his face before he said, "Yeah, I s'pose so—but how come I can't sleep in m'own bed?"

"'Cause Declan's liable to make an awful lot of noise tonight with your sister," Wolstan grinned, earning him a simultaneous playful backhand to his chest from Mae and Emmaline.

"Wooly," Emmaline laughingly chided, shaking her head.

"Mama," Wolstan giggled.

"Why's he gonna be noisy?" Eldon asked, his perplexed eyes darting from Declan to Wren.

"All the grunting," Wolstan chuckled, erupting into a fit of contagious, deep belly laughter when Mae and Emmaline simultaneously backhanded him again.

Eldon's confusion intensified. "Gruntin'? What gruntin'?"

Clearing his throat, Emerson chuckled, "They have to move some furniture around—no one wants to hear the screeching, grunting, and groaning that goes on—sounds like two cats fighting sometimes."

Declan threw back his head and guffawed.

Wolstan and Mae's laughter increased.

Emmaline's lips twitched in an apparent struggle before she added, "Not to mention, it can take several attempts to get the arrangement right when you first marry. You'd be up all night listening to them."

"Mama," Declan playfully gasped, his eyes twinkling with impish amusement. "Why you're just as bad as me."

"After all these years," she giggled, "One can only wonder where I got it from."

They talked, teased, and laughed a while longer, finishing two apple pies in the process until Eldon's eyes slid closed and remained that way for the third time, and his body sagged forward in obvious exhaustion.

"Looks like we better get someone off to bed," Emmaline murmured, bracing a gentle hand on Eldon's chest to keep him upright in his chair as she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him to her bosom.

"Need any help, Linney?" Emerson whispered behind her, his hands settling at her waist.

She shook her head and smiled at him over her shoulder, "No, I've got him, dear. But if you'll get the door?"

Emerson hurried ahead and propped it open, allowing Luella outside as Declan and Wren rose and walked with Emmaline.

"Congratulations, my honey's," she whispered, pressing a kiss to each of their cheeks before stepping onto the porch.

"Thank you, Mama," Declan murmured, "Uncle Em."

Emerson grinned and winked, waving as he followed Emmaline across the porch. "Have a pleasant evening, all right?"

Declan nodded and hugged Wren to his side. "We'll see you in the morning."

"I suppose we better be leaving too, Wooly," Mae said, collecting the dishes.