"Yeah, I s'pose so," Eldon grumbled, unable to stop smiling. "Do yer worst, Sheriff."

Wren flicked a glance at Declan and Wolstan, tossed Declan her slingshot, then slowly approached Eldon. "For your crimes aforementioned, I hereby sentence you to... tickling," she said, cackling with delight as his peals of laughter filled the air, his body squirming like a worm on a hook until she suddenly stepped away and motioned to Declan. "Cut him down, Gobby Goo; he's free to go."

Declan handed Wren her slingshot and approached Eldon, "You gonna skewer me when I least expect it, little man?"

Eldon spread his arms and legs wide, "I'm unarmed, Gobby, but I'd sleep with one eye open for a spell if I was you."

"Thanks for the warning," Declan chuckled as he loosened the knot. "Put your arms around my neck... don't want you falling."

"You busy?" Wren quietly asked him.

Declan glanced at her over his shoulder, "Not for you."

Heat filled her cheeks, and she tucked a lock of hair behind her left ear. "Can we talk when you have a minute?"

What looked like panic flashed in his eyes for the barest second before he hid it beneath a mask of calmness and nodded, then returned his attention to releasing Eldon from his constraints.

Moments later, the rope slid to the ground around the tree trunk, and Declan turned with Eldon in his arms, tousling his curls and kissing his cheek before setting him on his feet.

"Did I tie the rope too tight?"

Eldon shook his head.

"And you had fun?"

"Yeah," Eldon murmured, his face splitting in a wide grin, "can we do it again tomorrow?"

"Tie you to a tree?" Declan quietly teased.

"Or maybe I can tie you to one?"

Declan flashed a wink and a smile at Wren. "Sure, but you'll have to catch me first—wanna go for a ride later?" He asked, bending his head to look at him as he shoved his hands in his pockets.

Eldon tipped his face up to meet his eyes and nodded.

"All right, I'll come get you when your sister and I are done talking."

"Emmaline made those cookies you like," Wren said as Eldon limped past her, Luella trailing behind him, "there's a plate waiting for you on the table."

"And milk?" He chirped, shuffling backward.

Wren shielded her gaze from the sun and smiled, "Yep."

"You need me for anything?" Wolstan asked, "'Cause if not, I'm gonna go grab some of Mama's cookies myself and see how Mae's doing."

Declan grunted and shook his head, keeping silent until Wolstan had closed the kitchen door behind him; then he turned and looked at Wren and said, "Something specific you want to talk about?"

She swallowed, suddenly at a loss for words now that the moment was upon her, and she had his attention all to herself. "You're home early," she blurted out, stating the first thing that came to mind as she walked toward a shaded patch of grass between the two houses.

He nodded and followed her, "Thought I'd see if you'd made a decision yet."

Her heart slammed against her ribs. "You haven't changed your mind?"

"Nope."

"You're sure you want a wife?" Wren asked. "'Cause if you choose the wrong person; they can make your life miserable—"