Chapter 1

yucky notes: This takes place after the first movie, the second movie hasn't happened here. Also, Good Cop is alive because we stan Good Cop in this house!. This is hugely inspired by another fanfiction, but I literally can't find it WAHHH. GCBC can talk to eachother without switching!

--------------------------

        Bad Cop sluggishly woke up on his disheveled couch. The sun would have been shining directly in his eyes if he hadn't had his aviators on. It almost felt like a normal day, almost. Ever since TAKOS Tuesday, which was just a week ago by now, the world changed terribly. When cleaning out the Octan tower, some poor soul knocked over a vial of the-main-upstairs-knows-what, and zombies had become a thing. It was expected that the police force would stop the zombies, but the robots had all been scrapped, and getting actual people hired was a challenge. So, under these unfortunate circumstances, the apocalypse had started.

        Bad Cop felt his bones shift as he stood. He was once strong enough to kick chairs like it was soccer, but the lack of available food had messed his physique up. He opened the cabinets of his kitchen, which contained very little of anything. But he needed something to give him enough energy to go get more supplies. So, he grabbed a piece of stale bread. He wanted to throw up while eating it, but he forced himself to finish and then exited his home. It wasn't exactly his home though; it was his parents. Ma Cop and Pa Cop. The poor couple had been infected almost immediately, unable to fight due to their old age. Bad Cop would have left to camp out at a different house the second he found out about it, but Good Cop refused to let him for fear of someone else coming around and killing their already dead parents. Bad Cop really didn't want to be the guy who ties up infected family and keeps them in the basement, but he didn't want to upset Good Cop, and he kind of owed his parents for the whole Kragle thing, so he agreed to do so.        

        He started walking through the run-down Bricksburg, or as people had taken to calling it, Apocalypsburg. His eyes darted all around, watching for the slightest motion. The training he went through to become the chief of police gave him a huge advantage in these times. He was alert, he was smart, he was able to fight. Good Cop could also do all of that, but he didn't want to. It didn't matter, as long as Bad Cop could keep them both safe.

        Bad Cop slowly approached a depreciated corner store. He had his hand on his knife while he opened the door. He also had a gun with him, but he knew better than to fire it unless truly necessary. Ammo was limited, and guns would attract plenty of unwanted attention. A bell rang as he pushed the door a little too hard, and he cursed under his breath. Luckily, very very luckily, the store had nobody inside. Bad Cop snatched up everything he could fit inside his backpack and got ready to leave, taking down the store's bell before exiting. He could use this bell at his own place, to set up a sort of alarm for zombies.

        The weight of the supplies he now had would make returning home more difficult than leaving. As he started the trek Good Cop spoke up in the back of his mind.

        "I feel like we're being watched."

        "Do not say that!" Bad Cop commanded, now paranoid. He looked around himself, but saw absolutely no signs of life, or death for that matter.

        "No, really. I feel like someone's watching us." Good Cop repeated.

        "If somebody was watching us, I'd notice." Bad Cop responded. He acted like he didn't care what Good Cop said, but he did make a mental note to be extra vigilant. His hand was gripping his knife, and he walked at a brisk pace to get home faster. When he reached his house, he slammed the door shut and sat down on the couch for a moment.

        Bad Cop fiddled with the straps to his backpack for a moment, to calm himself down. Before the apocalypse, he would never have been this anxious, but in a time where having your guard down could mean instant death, it was necessary. Good Cop switched in, feeling bad about getting Bad Cop all worked up.

        "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I can put our supplies away and set up your alarm thingy for you. And do all my gardening stuff too."

        "It's fine." Bad Cop kept his reply short, wanting to focus on calming down. So Good Cop stopped talking and went to sorting out their loot. The food gathered wasn't the healthiest, but beggars can't be choosers, and it would taste better than stale bread. Good Cop smiled as he saw a good number of croissants within the backpack. Despite the tension, Good Cop and Bad Cop really cared about each other, and it was nice to see Bad Cop went out of his way to get something that Good Cop would like.

       Good Cop then went to set up the alarm system. All it needed was a piece of string and the bell from the store. Good Cop could easily forget that there was an apocalypse going on when he wasn't in imminent danger, and his feeling at peace helped Bad Cop calm down. After a bit of fiddling with it, the alarm was working well.

        Next up was Good Cop's garden. Good Cop absolutely loved his garden, it was Pa's before he and Ma got infected, and taking care of it was a great way for him to cope. It also harbored fresh produce, and while it wasn't time to harvest yet, it was still great to have. Water was a limited resource, but GCBC had a pretty large amount of it stockpiled and could afford to use some on the garden. The green of the plants stuck out against the barren, tan landscape that the apocalypse had left behind. If you kept your gaze fixed on the garden, it almost looked like nothing had happened.

        A familiar ring blared through the otherwise silent area. Bad Cop switched in, recognizing the noise of the bell. It was the alarm that Good Cop had just set up, and it seemed like Good Cop was right about being followed.