To Woo You - J'onn J'onzz [The Martian Manhunter]

Summary: J'onn has taken interest in one of the new Watchtower workers and has been making attempts at "wooing" the reader. But his efforts seem to be in vain when they mistake his attempts as just "being nice." Running out of options, he turns to advice from his fellow leaguers on how to flirt properly.

Notes: A request from @Hyomy (on Tumblr). Hope you enjoy! I cannot tell you how many times I had to rewrite this one, honestly. An oblivious reader was requested.

--------------------

This was it. J'onn could take little more of this. If his newest attempt to show you his affections once more fell flat, then he was out of ideas and would need to seek help elsewhere.

Even his attempt to be straight forward had only been met with miscommunication! Perhaps, he reasoned, he should have clarified then and there that he had meant he had romantic feelings for you – but the way you lit up, so overjoyed that he considered you a friend had the words drying up in his throat. If you happened to not return his romantic affections, well, he hated the idea of seeing your smile fall.

You had endured a rough day then, he could see it in the way you carried yourself, but his words had seemed to lift you up. So, there was always next time, he had silently assured himself. At least until you continued to miss the meaning behind his regular presence and interest in your life and self.

It wasn't intentional, he knew that much. It really was just honest obliviousness. Something he had become aware of upon getting to know you.

You were a fantastic addition aboard the Watchtower – a dedicated worker and easy going for the most part. Your honesty and willingness to help others had been what had caught his eye in the first place.

J'onn could do much of the work himself, but you never offered your assistance because you thought he was incapable, you just wanted to be as helpful as you could and make things a little easier. It was something that had not gone unnoticed and had only served to spearhead his affections for you.

But now, three months of vain attempts later, all concluding with that same endearing smile and assurances that you were so glad to have him in your life, had led him here; a small blue box in his hands as he traversed the corridors, nodding in passing to staff and League members alike. A few, mostly staff who had seen some of his attempts and spotted the box in his hands, shot him encouraging smiles and thumbs up.

Word traveled fast, that much was clear.

You had mentioned the other day that you would be spending your shift in the main console room, working to monitor some of the incoming radio frequencies for distress signals. And if he was right, and he knew he was, it was just about time for you to get back from your break.

With renewed confidence, J'onn stepped round the corner, spotting you just before you could slip through the automatic doors, managing to call out your name and catch your attention.

You seemed to almost sway in place, eyes darting immediately to the box in his hands before turning your body to face him.

J'onn would never admit he was nervous at just the harmless way you gave him your full attention, so quickly and so wholly, hardly a glance at anyone or anything else. He shook himself free and focused back on you, "Do you have a moment?"

"I've got a minute or two still, actually." Seemingly all too happy to have the chance to speak with him again.

"I remembered you mentioning this a few days ago, so I wanted to get you a gift."

Your eyes widen, if only for a moment, as you carefully take the box from his outstretched hand. Wasting no time, you untie the ribbon, neatly done up in a shape that almost reminds you of a heart, before nudging the lid off. You mentally brush it aside as coincidence.