Up the Hill

Chapter 1: TSOF

The monster was huge, right behind him, and he was running up hill.

Kvasir Walters was on his way to being the most unlucky kid of the decade. His calves burned as he ran up the irritatingly steep hill.

He knew that the monster was gaining from the smell of arm pit getting closer. Kvasir cursed. he couldn't tell how long he had been running. Thinking about everything that had happened to him made his head hurt.

The monster let out a below that made him sound hungry.

Something told him if he got over the hill, he would be safe. He really hoped that that something was right. He looked at the top of the hill and saw the light blue farm house standing unmoved against the setting sun.

The hairs on the back of his neck stood straight up as he felt the monster on his heels. The crest of the hill was too far away. The monster would have him roasting over a fire before he had the time to run to saftey.

He had spent weeks alone and on the run. The only thing leading him to this particular hill was a gut feeling and a dying kid with goat legs. The same gut feeling which had told him to run as fast as physically possible told him to scream.

"HELP!" Kvasir yelled, "PLEASE!"

There was no response. Desperation grabbed him.

"HELP! PLEASE! ANYONE!" his voice cracked from lack of water.

The monster's bellow shook the ground. Kvasir felt like he was laughing at him.

Kvasir almost surrendered to defeat when he caught a movement from inside the house and the creaking of an old spring on a door.

"HELP!" Kvasir screamed.

A figure began racing towards him. It was a teenage girl. Kvasir's hopes sank.

She sprinted out to him and her hand was in her pocket. Kvasir resigned himself to his fate.

"Save yourself!" he yelled at her. Some girl wasn't going to be able to take this monstrosity.

The monster made a grab for him. Kvasir yelped as its sharp claws grazed his back. The girl was not slowing down. What was wrong with her? She needed to get out of there.

"Save yourself!" Kvasir repeated before it was too late for her. He could have sworn he saw a smirk on her face as she ran towards certain death.

She was crazy fast. Although, he was almost dying of exhaustion, he probably could have looked at a turtle a thought the same thing.

This girl has a death wish, Kvasir thought.

"Get over the hill!" she yelled, not even stopping to guide him. She tapped the shiny object in her hand and Kvasir say a flash of light as it grew in front of his eyes. He ran past her and up the hill.

*********************************

Lily Mayflower didn't slow down. Adrenaline coursed through her veins as she jumped off the ground. Her trident, Silver Torrent, jutted in front of her. With the speed she had gained as she ran and the jump, it was enough force to impale the monster right in the chest. It was so big that she had to let go of the trident and drop onto the grass as the monster yelled in pain. She rolled to the side to keep from being hit as the monster stumbled. Lily prayed that the tines had gone through the heart, because if they hadn't then she would have trouble getting her trident back.

Unfortunately she wasn't lucky.

The monster grunted and pulled out the trident and threw it many yards off to the side. Lily cursed.

Lily took off towards her trident. The monster didn't even bother with her, instead it continued after the demigod that she had been trying to save.

The trident was only a few feet away. Lily only took a moment to grab the trident before running up the hill back towards the monster. The monster had been injured by her first hit allowing the boy to get ahead of the monster.

"Silver Torrent," she whispered. The trident shrunk back to its compact form and she quickly switched to the sword, a perfect weight in her hands. She ran.

Lily finally caught up with the monster. With the fine skill Percy had taught her so keenly, she sliced the monster's legs up. The monster growled and turned to her. She didn't waste any time. Lily rolled under its legs and struck its back multiple times. The monster roared in protest.

It turned around almost regretfully and swung its arm at her. She stabbed it with her sword and the monster bellowed. While it was distracted by the pain she ran to the front of the creature. Out of the coroner of her eye she say the boy collapse just past Thalia's tree, he stared back at her.

He was safe. Now all she needed to do was kill this stupid thing.

The monster grunted and leaned down towards her. Lily frowned. It didn't even seem like it was making an effort any more. Not waiting to decipher the inner meaning of the monster, she stabbed it. Lily pushed it in further in to make sure it would kill it.

The monster gave one last cry before it disintegrated into dust.

***************************

Kvasir watch her as she struck it with her sword. His vision was going in and out. He was so exhausted. All he knew was the girl had saved him.

He lay back in the grass. Not even caring that there was a dragon in a tree only a few feet from him. He was exhausted. Kvasir let his eyes shut and he lost consciousness.

****************************

Author's note:

Hello!

Thank you so much for reading this. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have in creating it. So that you know, this is the third book in the Mayflower Series. So if you haven't read those two books yet I encourage you to do so. The first is called The Daughter of Water and the second is called The Children of Water. If you already read those then you are awesome and I hope that you enjoy! If not, I think you enjoy this anyway!

Thanks!

-Elizabeth