chapter 9

Celeste and Grim followed Jack to the Savanaclaw dorm and it was after midnight when they entered the Savanaclaw lounge. This was the first time Celeste had been inside the dorm, and she was surprised to see that the lounge was partially outdoors. A large waterfall flowed into a waterhole built into the rocky outcrop that was encompassed by lounge chairs. The only source of light came from pool lights and the moon overhead.

“It's unlike you to be out so late, Jack. What have you been-” Leona stepped out from the shadows of the rocky overhang and paused, his emerald eyes widening when he noticed Celeste and Grim.

“So that's what you were up to. Tryin' to sneak the princess in here in the middle of the night.” Ruggie emerged next to Leona with a smirk on his face.

“N-no! That's not what this is! It's not like that!” Jack's fur stood on end as he hastily denied the accusation, his cheeks turning red with embarrassment.

“Leona, I apologize for the intrusion but Grim and I need a place to stay for a few days…” Celeste said before she and Jack explained the situation to Leona as he stood scowling in front of them.

“… And so you came here? What about your Heartslabyul buddies? Shouldn't they be jumping at the chance to host a princess for a few days?” Leona snorted, lashing his tail irritably.

“They did offer, however, they're full, I'm afraid. Leona, Grim is really the only one who requires a bed for tonight. I only need somewhere to change and keep my things. I promise to keep Grim under control if you allow us to stay.” Celeste bowed her head to Leona slightly, as she would do to someone of equal rank, and she saw his ear twitch.

Leona pinched the bridge of his nose and let out a sigh. “… Fine. I won't turn away a lady but don't whine about how dirty the dorm is. Ruggie take them to a spare room that's clean.” He grumbled waving his hand dismissively before turning away.

“Right this way, princess.” Ruggie gave her an exaggerated bow, the teasing smirk never leaving his face. “Jack, bring some spare bedding to their room, would ya?” Ruggie called over his shoulder before leading them across a boardwalk to an empty room.

All the dorm rooms appeared to be carved out of stone and had a rather simple design that matched the rugged theme that came with the Savanaclaw dorm. It was dusty, but she wasn't in a position to complain. Jack arrived shortly afterward and gave them fresh bedding before bidding them goodnight.

Celeste waited about an hour for Grim to fall asleep. After checking that he was truly sleeping she crept back out to the lounge and listened carefully for any Savanaclaw students before unfurling her wings.

She sighed as she examined her feathers. They weren't in the best condition due to her not being able to expose them to sunlight. She ran her fingers through her silky white feathers before moving to the waterfall to let the water pour over them.

The cool water was soothing on her wings as she preened. Plucking out the loose feathers, she wondered briefly where she'd lost the feather Azul had. Why did he have it in a glass case? It was almost as if it held some sort of special meaning to him.

She paused as she caught sight of her reflection in the pool. A pained expression crossed her face, as she hardly recognized herself. She looked tired, her wings not shining as bright as they used to. Her clothes were rather drab compared to what she usually wore in the Celestial realm. She raised her hands up, so her shackles were reflected in the moonlit pool, and she felt as if her heart clenched in despair.

"Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Why is my reflection
Someone I don't know?
Must I pretend that I'm
Someone else for all time?
When will my reflection show
Who I am inside?"