Chapter Three: The Farce Begins

Start from the beginning

The stranger scootches further away, struggling to find his balance. Feebly attempting to put up a fighting stance against Jake. Like a rag doll learning to walk for the first time, he face plants into the ground.

Meanwhile, the man on the floor has no idea how long it's been. Red eyes open to a face full of concrete. His ears ring to the muffled sound of footsteps drawing nearer. Slowly and with struggle, he lifts his head off the ground to see the white cape and Moon sign on the chest. Moon-Man(?) seems more interested in the sand pile in front of him than… he looks down at himself. Right, he's more interested in the sand piles than he is in Yugi.

"Looks like Seth's handiwork." Is the only hint Khonshu has to offer Jake. Standing tall behind his avatar, the bird crosses his arms.

Jake has no idea who Seth is and has no interest in learning. Keeping track of Egyptian God drama is above his pay grade. On some level, Khonshu likes him better for this. A lack of intelligence is only an issue with Steven because he's a pussy who refuses to hit things. Jake isn't interested in being the bird's favorite. He just knows the bird has a hit list, and he likes hitting things. It's a win-win in the worst way possible.

"Seth?" Jake and Khonshu look to the speaker in silent shock. "Whatever have I done to attract his ire?"

Khonshu looks at the nearest cat. The cat doesn't acknowledge him. Realizing whoever this is can hear him, Khonshu disappears.

"¿Estás bien?" Invokes the same feeling as 'are you okay?'. He doesn't speak the language, yet he comprehends the sentiment.

Red eyes squint at the stranger. Glowing eyes, white robes, moon motif. It feels familiar to the other. Protector of nightbound travelers, master of shadows, man on the moon. It's him. He blinks and allows his vision to fall out of focus. "Khonshu?"

"No." A more accurate response would be 'Not quite'. Jake isn't so wordy.

The man pushes himself up by the knees and teeters over. The hooded man catches him, holding him up gently by the shoulders. His hand eye coordination is as shot as his balance. "Am I drunk?"

"Smells like it." Jake gets a good look at the man's face, only inches away from his own. Red eyes stare into his own. He's stunning. A face gentle yet unwavering in its confidence. Black eyeliner straddles the line between masculine and feminine perfectly. His previously absurd looking hair frames his face just right. "Got a name?"

"Thank you. I don't need one." The last thing he remembers being called is 'the other Yugi' or 'Yami Yugi' on rare occasions. It suits him just fine. He hasn't much use for a name of his own. Though since the man is asking, he supposes he should offer something. "Yami, if you must."

The gloved hand slinks under his arms and supports his back. He buries his nose into the fabric. It reeks of blood and rain. He's not sure if it's his inebriated state or a genuine trust, but the utilitarian embrace feels safe to Yami.

"I'm Jake Lockley." His suit disappears, leaving only the man underneath. He's lightly tanned with a nose that looks to have been broken and healed several times over. His eyes look tired and his brown curls stick out the bottom of his hat. The way he holds his face is best described as angry. Yami can tell his face merely rests in that position. His voice makes that much clear.

Jake helps Yami up, allowing him to lean on his body for support as they stand.

"Need a ride home?" Jake doesn't normally drive people for free. He's willing to make an exception for Yami. It's silly but Jake hopes Yami will offer an… alternative form of payment. He won't pressure him, but a boy can dream. It's hard not to with Yami looking up at him like that, his cheeks drunkenly flushed.