Chapter One: Cheat Death, Lose At Cards

Start from the beginning

"I thought it got lost when the building collapsed." Mokuba isn't wrong in this assumption. All the millennium artifacts got buried in rubble after Yugi and his band of friends used them to unlock the afterlife for the Pharaoh. Even today, as archeologists excavate the ruins, very few of the artifacts have been recovered. It's expected that the millennium puzzle would take the longest to recover if it survived at all due to it having so many parts to scatter.

"The Pharaoh took it with him. I brought it back. Help me clean this up before the pieces get lost." Seto diverts his attention to the task at hand. Mokuba nods, joining him. He reaches under the high-tech contraptions, getting the few that lodged themselves in spaces Seto is too large to fit. By the end of the hour, all thirty-three pieces are safely closed within a briefcase.

Both brothers are surprised at just how few pieces there are. Seto would've guessed closer to one hundred. But no, it's only thirty-three. A standard one hundred piece puzzle typically only takes the boys ten minutes. One hundred piece puzzles are built for babies, how in the world it took Yugi almost a decade to solve it the first time is beyond Seto.

It is a three-dimensional puzzle which admittedly adds a level of challenge inherently. Still, thirty-three pieces isn’t a lot. This should be a piece of cake.

Solving the millennium puzzle is, in fact, such a piece of cake that Seto spends the rest of the year trying to solve it in secret. He spends many frustrated nights hitting his head against the wall, struggling to put it all together in desperate attempts to duel his dead rival. The puzzle looks deceptively simple, yet it's built in such a way that it must be constructed in a particular order. One wrong move and the whole thing falls apart. He scans it, creates an entire computer program to simulate putting it together, producing instructions as it goes. Seto follows the instructions and surprise-surprise! It falls apart.

It's been a whole year now since they got their hands on the puzzle.

Mokuba wakes up in the middle of the night. He yawns and pads his way through dark halls. On his way to the kitchen, the dark halls are illuminated by the cold light seeping from underneath the door to Seto's office. He frowns. Looks like his brother is pulling another all-nighter over that stupid necklace.

He sighs, cracking the door open. Mokuba winces at the headache he gets by walking in. The office is bright white and sterile, the lights above harsh on the eyes. Seto sits hunched over the puzzle, looking like he's heard of sleep once from a friend but never actually done it himself.

Mokuba rubs his eyes. "Big brother..."

"Not now Mokuba, I'm so close." He doesn't look up from his work.

"You say that every time, Seto." Mokuba's voice cracks. He forgets his voice can't go that high anymore. "When was the last time you ate?"

"No time." Of course, Seto didn't eat. That would be too normal.

"Bro, just make Mutou solve it."

"And admit defeat? I don't think so."

"Don't you think it's a little odd that Yugi is the only person to ever solve the puzzle?"

"He's the only person dumb enough to try. That doesn’t mean anything. " Seto grumbles, putting another piece into place, using chopsticks as tweezers.

"I've been doing some research on it."

"Yeah?"

"One of the lines of hieroglyphs that refers to it, says something about it being cursed."

"A dead Pharaoh lived in it. Of course it's 'cursed'."

"I'm just saying, if I were to make a cursed object, I'd make sure it's custom tailored to whatever person I wanted to curse." Mokuba yawns.