~.✧ eleven ✧.~

Start from the beginning

When it was all said and done, Gentry took a step back and scanned over my entire look, checking for anything that needed touch ups. After straightening my light blue sapphire necklace, she nodded quickly. "You're ready, your Highness."

I glanced at myself in the mirror one more time and then back at her. Swallowing and rapidly tapping my fingers together, I forced myself to say, "I appreciate all you do for me."

Gentry blinked, like she didn't know how to receive this before she curtsied. "It's my job, Princess. It's what I do."

"I..." I paused but I needed to say this no matter how uncomfortable it was. "I still value the integrity you incorporate into your work. I-I couldn't look like I do without you and for that I am grateful." I cringed a little at my stutter, but I was still very proud of myself for making it all the way through.

Gentry continued to stare at me, and suddenly I wondered if perhaps I'd chosen the wrong time to say this or hadn't said it in a way that sounded sincere. Fearfully, my chest started closing up.

But then she smiled. A real smile that showed her not quite straight teeth. But despite the imperfection, it was beautiful. "Thank you, your Highness. I... Well, you just don't know how much I needed someone to say that."

"You're welcome," I squeaked, the tightness not completely dissipated from my chest. I wasn't sure what else to say but I knew that I was getting better at this. I hoped that I could have more exchanges with her as I grew more confident. I found that I liked Gentry a lot more when I actually gave her a chance to show me some of herself through discussion.

And then I knew what to say and despite how my heart was racing and trying to crawl its way up my throat, I blurted out. "Would you have tea with me tomorrow afternoon?"

Her stunned green eyes flicked from me to the door then back to me. "M-me?" she asked in bewilderment, even pointing at her chest. "You want to have tea with me? But I'm just your servant. I'm not important enough-"

"You aren't required but you are invited. If-if you want to..."

Again, she just shifted her footing like she was still processing. "I... Of course. Yes, I'd love to. Are you completely sure? I... I know you don't generally..." Her eyes turned fearful like she'd stuck her foot in her mouth without even finishing her sentence.

But I suppose I knew what she was going to say. I blushed. "Yes, I'm sure," was the only thing I could think of. It was better to just avoid the fact that this was completely out of my comfort zone and that both of us knew it. But I was trying my best.

"Um, then I accept. Would you like me to prepare the tea? Will there be other guests there?"

I hadn't thought of either of these things when I'd asked her in the spur of the moment and it made me even more nervous. Yet I wanted this to work so I forced myself to think. "No. I will get someone else to set up the tea. You're my guest... As for other guests..." I didn't really know of anyone else I'd want to come. Especially with what was happening at the castle right now and what we were all going through. But perhaps there was one other person that I'd been wanting to make more of an effort to befriend as well... "Ezalie Corzavan will also be in attendance. If... If she accepts, that is."

Gentry nodded. "Very well. I'm flattered by the offer. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

A small silence followed and I avoided her eyes in fear that if I looked up at her, I might chicken out and take the offer back. Luckily, she broke the awkward quiet before it became too long. "I believe it is almost time for the reception of the Ethira nobles, your Highness."