CHAPTER 16: Ashes to Ashes

Start from the beginning

"Climb up." Nyxith encouraged her.

The possessed thrall threw her arms willingly into the air and grabbed the plant. Her hands slipped off. Valaria, having no choice, pushed Seseh's arms towards the vine again. With melting fingers, she grabbed the creeper and lifted her up.

The thrall grabbed hold of the tendril with a firm, slippery grip. This was it. Valaria used Seseh's arms to pull herself up until her liquefying face met the loop of the vegetation.

She had enough strength, gritted her teeth, and falling headlong, she burst open in the middle and all Seseh's clay gushed out.

Valaria felt turmoil and choking.

Seseh could not feel her pain. She could sense her weakness as the top portion of her still dangled. She was still spilling out into the deep ravine. She felt her neck snapping.

Seseh's white eyes rolled.

Before Valaria's life was finished, she heard a calm voice. "I forgive you." It was a voice she had never heard before.

Seseh couldn't help it. She was becoming weak. Her form melted through the vine. Seseh was dying. With all her strength, she focused her eyes to look up. Her tongue was already on the move and her head rose.

She wanted her last vision to be the bright cave lifeforms crawling above her. Such a beautiful sight.

Her upper dripping torso danced with a slow, convulsive movement. Seseh's eyes were closing as a portion of Valaria's spirit was carried down by the Death Wanderers.

"Thank you, Nyxith..." Seseh said before closing her eyes completly. 

She was gone, melting and dripping loose down the vine.

Seseh, the former Queen of Cardamon, fell, disintegrating into clay-like mush from the vine and into the ravine beneath the tree--

Adeve felt the clay and mud that was once Seseh gather around her trunk and the eroded gorge. It felt nourishing.

Adeve's limb snapped and the branch along with the noose fell below.

'I forgive you.' The tree had whispered to the last of Valaria's spirit. 'I could see what you did was in an effort to preserve yourself. You did not want to feel alone. I cannot say that I regret your passing. You were a hateful and bitter creature. Never the less, I do forgive you."

The last trifle of Valaria's spirit clung to the Winds and listened to Adeve, the magicka sage fruit tree. The words sank into her. They came for the rest of Valaria.

The Death Wanderers flew up from below. They picked up what little was left, and took her to Abbadoth.

Her final Judgment had been carried out. Valaria the wretched had been banished from the world of the living.

Only Nyxith remained.

"It's time to go now." Nyxith heard a gentle voice like soft thunder. "You too are forgiven. For all your transgressions."

She saw him standing in the cave and he revealed himself as the Master. Then she saw his armour, his cloak of lapis, his beard, and flowing white hair. His red eyes glowed in the half-light of the cave. The Master's decorum was magnificent. His countenance was brilliantly beautiful and bright.

She felt the Winds gentle swirl around her.

It was time for her to leave and go to her new home. It was time for her to go to Hovenlla.

He gave a commanding nod and she knew she had been given permission to leave. The Master gave a warm smile and waved his hand.

The Winds vanished. A portal formed above her, the great cavern opened, and sunlight streamed out.