CHAPTER 9: Nyxith's Hald'gula

Start from the beginning

Eddipus knew dangers and traps lurked in the fortress in Nehnus, tomb of Barrisha. - Especially as Barrisha was a tyrant and led Crenith with ruthless tyranny.

"The temple is ahead," Eddipus said, "I trust King Barrisha will not mind us treading his domain. After all, the dead can not stop us."

"Tell that to the Draugen and their dogs."

"True Val. Do not expect anything less from this wretched place," he replied. Eddipus and Val satisfied their need for rest at a nearby bolder and moved on.

They came to pillars of salt and cooled magma standing on both sides of a white, ashen path. They strode with caution in the early morning towards a place of doom that lay even further in ruins. They eyed the dried-up, fog-filled mote. Eddipus looked for a way in. Across the land and plain, they saw smoke rising. It rose like a hearthstone.

They surveyed the wasteland.

Jezzaul had interfered, and one does not interfere with the delicacy of death. For that, the Master punished him and left a taint in Crenith Val would rather avoid.

Barrisha... an evil leader who beheld power. Barrisha... (son of wickedness). King of Crenith. Barrisha... a king of sulphur and salt. Unsown and unproductive, destroyed and feared...

****

Rose felt it.

Felt the sting. For days maybe longer, she, her sister Mirranda, and her father Ezekiel had been locked away in Cardamon's dark dungeon. Why? They didn't know.

Her arm still burned where the guardsman had cut, and now was wrapped tight. The fabric itched. The Spiderling family were chased from the North, worked for Cardamon along with their servants happily, and had free rein in the castle. Why had the queen changed her mind?

"Father," Rose spoke.

Ezekiel looked down at his terrified daughter with concerned eyes, enraged at the way they had been treated of late, "Yes Rose."

"