Chapter 1: Transmutation

Start from the beginning

"Are you mad?"

"Sure." He laughed again.

Val tripped and stumbled over an uneven spot, falling face down and spinning onto his back as he pushed off with his feet.

"Jezzaul, you've lost your mind!"

"In a way. You see, I have a new one now." He continued, holding out his hand and beckoning Val to take it.

"I don't need help from a murderous mutt."

Val reached for an arrow and brought his bow back to meet Nomad's hand... or was it Jezzaul, Val wasn't sure.

He put on his arrow, drew, and relaxed. He paused and put the weapon down beside him as he stared into Nomad's eyes. Familiar eyes. His friend's eyes.

"Unless I see you with sword in hand and you block my arrows, I will not believe."

The day progressed. Tannik residents visiting the picturesque river watched as Val took out his bow.

Although the onlookers watched them, Nomad held up his sword in a defensive stance, unshaken and unnerved. 

"Peace be with you!" He continued, "Bring on your arrows, see me block, and know that it is I, your friend. Let them fly. Test me and believe."

Val withdrew his arrow back, "Steady sword, murderer - ready, aim and focus on my arrows!"

His arrow flew and as quick as it was released Nomad swung wildly, knocking the weapon away, but he had not wavered.

"Again!" roared Nomad.

He had definite information that his friend was before him, just in a different transmutation. Therefore, he was still not sure. He doubted his own eyes and ears. Could it be true? Alive, Val's friend still breathing and standing here?

Val was not the emotional type, it had to be a very special moment to touch his heart's cord. The sad or happy feelings had left him when he was very young.

"Steady sword, Eddipus - ready, aim and focus on my arrows," his voice rattled but he did not cry.

How was this even possible? Val dropped his bow and ran to Eddipus. This was not just any nomad, it was not Jezzaul. It was his friend, his brother.

Val, while giving his friend a warrior's forearm handshake, drew him into a manly embrace.  

"My ally. My confidant!"

****

"It's in," Dante said.

Hilda cried out as she felt the serrated scoop sink in. He reached into her right eye with the circular blade of Exorpanning knife and the small shiv sank through muscle, blood, and nerve. Dante thrust it closer and applied pressure until he felt her eye socket.

"Kneel down and rest your head, or it will kill you, my dear."

The priestess obeyed.

"Please hurry, Master," Hilda cried as she laid her head on the pillow of the cot.

Dante gently touched her shoulder before going back to the instrument lodged in her socket. "You has soon be free of the demon."

Hilda bit down a little on the sheet that covered her to keep from biting her tongue.

Dante grasped and tilted the Exorpanning knife and managed to move past a light layer of tissue.

"Now hold very still."

Hilda winced as he penetrated further into her right eye.

Dante thrust the blade past a nerve.

There was a popping sound and red ichor spurted.