"Steven, you found this in the storage locker?" you asked and he nodded.

"Steven, don't," Marc threatened.

"Listen, inside was all sorts of things," he said, "including..." he trailed off as he took a step away from the bag.

"Steven, stop what you're doing right now, don't show them what was in the bag."

"Most interestingly -"

"You're going to get y/n killed! You hear me?!" Marc yelled, and you and Steven stared at his reflection.

"What?" you said, Fitzgerald and Kennedy assuming you were talking to Steven when in actuality you were talking to Marc.

"You show her, you're responsible when they come after her," Marc hissed, and Steven fell silent. "That's why I told you to hide it."

It? What was it? Steven looked from you to the DC's. "Nothing," Steven said, and Fitzgerald shook his head.

"Fake passport and a thief," Kennedy sighed. "Tsk tsk. I think you best come with us, son." She grabbed Steven's arm and you stared in disbelief as she tried to pull him out the door.

"Wait," he cried, "wait a minute. Can I say goodbye?" he asked and they scowled. "Y'know, like my one phone call, but... not."

"Make it quick," Kennedy said, her patience non-existent. Steven rushed over to you and gave you a hug.

"It's gonna be ok," you whispered to him and he nodded, staring at you worriedly.

"Come on Mr Grant," Fitzgerald ordered, grabbing his jacket, and marching him out the door.

"Right, yessir, I'm comin," Steven said. Kennedy looked at you sternly before slamming the door behind the three of them.

"What the fuck," you mouthed as you heard their footsteps disappearing. You glanced at the duffle bag from which Fitzgerald pulled the passport, and there was a lot more in there than you bargained for. Money – thousands – in all sorts of currencies, and a gun, as well as the passport. Which they didn't take with them. You frowned. Surely, they'd take it all as evidence. Something in the pit of your stomach was telling you there was something wrong. You'd learnt over the years not to ignore intuition. You zipped the bag shut, then opened it and took the gun – another gut feeling – but then went against your better judgement and put it back, zipped it shut again and threw it into the hiding hole from which you'd found the storage key. 

Then you drummed your fingers against your chin. Whatever Steven had found, it was worse than the money and gun, and he'd hidden it somewhere, and in spite of the warning that it would get you killed, you decided to hunt for this mystery item. You opened the top draw to the bedside table – nothing out of the ordinary. From there, you made your way around the room, ending up at finally at the small box Steven kept by Gus' fish tank. It was full of the few personal trinkets he owned. You opened it and covered your mouth to stop a gasp. 

There was a golden scarab inside, and when you picked it up, it floated from its base and settled itself pointing out the window. Steven had mentioned a scarab in what he assumed had been a dream. It wasn't a dream.

"What the hell," you muttered, and then as there was a loud bang on the door, you shoved the scarab in your pocket. The door opened before you answered and Fitzgerald walked back in.

"Can I help you?" you said confrontationally as he approached.

"Miss, we were just curious as to if you knew the whereabouts of the stolen item?" he asked, blocking the exit to your apartment.

"Afraid not," you said. "If it means anything, I think you've got the wrong person. Steven wouldn't steal anything."

"Doesn't mean anything," Fitzgerald said back blandly. "If you see it, let us know."