2 - The Haunted House and The Angelic Trespasser

Start from the beginning

I gave her a look that said 'be serious.'

"Girl, I even heard they're occultic." She said snapping her fingers like she'd just recalled the information. "What if there's something to lure you and use as sacrifice as soon as you step foot there!"

I shuddered at her words. "Okay now stop, you'll make me rethink my decision. My father would even kill me if he knew I was going close to the gate. He hates that family so much. He always tells me to be wary of them no matter what."

"I'm sure even the Igwe himself is wary of them." Obiageli replied.

"Whatever." I said dismissively. "I've made up my mind and I hope I don't regret it."

She made a 'tsk tsk' sound. "As your friend I hope so too."

"Do you want to follow us? It might not be so bad if we're togeth—" I didn't get to finish my sentence.

"Tufiakwa!" Obiageli exclaimed. "No, thank you! I don't want any trouble. You and Jama can enjoy your haunted house exploration together. I like myself oh! The most I can do is pray for you people."

I shook my head at her but continued my work. "No problem then. Let me wrap up this cloth so we can head home."

She stood up and dusted her skirt. "Alright then. Let me know when you're ready to leave. I'll be at the saloon."

~*~*~

Maduka

"What the hell do you mean he died!?" I growled out, overcome with anger.

"Maduka, control your temper." Ifeyinwa advised, she looked around as if checking to see if anyone had heard my outburst.

"Then give me answers." I replied her in a calmer voice this time.

"I just told you!" Annayo whispered forcibly. "Or have you lost your hearing? I expect you would be happy. Our father has died."

"Our father?" I sneered at him. "Yours has been in the grave for years."

Annayo was reaching for me when his mother grabbed hold of him. "Annayo, control yourself! Calm down!"

"You piece of shit, you'd better not provoke me." Annayo warned me, pointing at me with one hand, holding his mother with the other. I recalled the image of the snot-nosed younger boy who would cling to his mother like that whenever she stopped us from fighting in the past. "After all the stupid things you got up to, after all the stupid things you put him through. You never cared about him. And you're surprised he's dead?"

"Who the hell are you to speak of my relationship with my own father? You're nothing but an overconfident substitute of a son." I countered him.

"Coming from the disgraceful reject of a son?" Annayo responded to me in mockery.

"You're asking for a beating , you bastard." I warned. By now, so many people around were watching and whispering amongst themselves.

"Seeing as your father just died. That makes two of us, bastard." Annayo fired.

I jumped at him but suddenly found Chuma pulling me back. "Kaka! Stop it, man!"

"Both of you, stop this now. Look around you! You're causing a scene!" Aunt Kene said to me as she grabbed my arm. "Nna, listen to me. Look at me! Go with your younger brother, I'll handle this."

Aunt Kene always referred to me as her son. So when she spoke about Chuma, she would refer to him as younger my brother because I was older by a few months.