PROLOGUE: A DECADE OLD

I am currently facing the blue sky, staring at the clouds plastered everywhere above, and alas lying down against the soft, dewy grass. The grass is moist, but not the soil. Birds are gleefully singing away to one another while my mother is baking our lunch for our small backyard picnic. Food is such a masterpiece and it demands to be loved at all times.

Sunlight reflects off my skin as I absorb its wonderful warmth, and then there's my mouth watering oceans because of the special food I'll be receiving today. 

The 28th of April in the year 1996 marks the day I turn a decade old.  And boy does the sunny skies and the beautiful surroundings of my Brooklyn home wouldn't help but compliment just that.

"Amelia, could you set up the picnic blanket on the table? Oh, and fix the plates and utensils please!" My mom exclaimed through our small kitchen window, bringing me back from Mother Nature raiding my thoughts. I was savoring the rosemary scent while I did what she requested. I didn't even bother to answer at all.

I'm nine years old, turning ten today, well, past midnight last, night. My rebellious attitude is showing up, but my mom just simply laughed it off. She says that it reminded herself when she was young, until my father came around. Sadly though, he passed before I was born.  I never saw his face, heard his voice, but ten years was able to get me passed that.

"Mom, when is the food gonna be ready?" I asked my mom, quite impatiently because well, it's food!  She replied, "Only three more minutes!" I decided to enter the house through the back door when I felt this tingly feeling in my hands.

"Woah," I mutter as I start noticing that my left hand turned ice cold, as my right began rising in temperature. "Mom? Mom?!" My mother raced through our back door to the backyard, with mixed expressions in her face. I am uncertain if she's either both bewildered and surprised or anticipated to the fact of me producing fire and ice from my hands. "MOM WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME?!" That was all I manically asked.

Then she gave me an assuring look, "Amelia, it's fine. Just relax and look straight into my eyes," my mom grasping at my shoulders, commanded me to look into her eyes. Then she added, "I have this too--" until my hands into its normal state once again, interrupting her annoucement.

The fire and ice just disappeared into the wind. "MOM!" I call out her name, grabbing all her attention. My calm mom reminds me, "Look Amelia, I get what you're going through right now because this runs in the family. I'm gonna call help."

Mom just grabbed her phone from her back pocket and walked a few feet away as tears filled me eyes. What just happened? What will my life be now? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO, WHAT DO YOU THINK? THE PROLOGUE IS KIND OF SHORT, BUT IT INTRODUCES HOW THE SUDDEN APPEARANCE OF HER ABILITIES AFFECTED HER SPECIAL DAY, HER BIRTHDAY. SEE YA TO THE FIRST CHAPTER, WHERE SHE LEARNS MORE ABOUT HER ELEMENTAL ABILITIES.

THE PICTURE DISPLAYS ON HOW YOU WOULD IMAGINE AMELIA GAINING HER POWERS FOR THE FIRST TIME, BY THE WAY.

- ACOUSTIC QUIVER