10 | she loves how he talks late at night when there's no one else to say

Start from the beginning

"The door was unlocked, actually."

Nolan then held up the boxes in his hands. "We brought pizza."

Mary Jane squinted at him. "I'm listening."

"Your favorite's in there."

"Say less." Mary Jane went to one of their cabinets and grabbed a stack of plates before heading to the living room. "Bring me the pizza."

Luna watched Mary Jane, Karl, and Nolan all go into the living room, a small smile on her face. Never in her life did she think she would find a group of friends like this — just another something that streaming brought to her. They were her favorite people in the entire world and practically kept her head above water. It applied to her west coast friends as well, but she just adored how the little group they had in North Carolina always hung out with each other.

Foolish came up beside her, leaning against the counter and crossing his arms. "What's got you all smiley?"

"I love you guys," Luna responded. "I hope you know that."

He stared at her for a moment, a soft smile creeping onto his face. "I think we all know, Lunes."

"Well, just in case you didn't, now you do." Luna shut the cabinet that she had been organizing. "Did you do anything interesting today?"

Foolish thought about it for a second. "I woke up."

Luna tilted her head at him as the song switched from Nonsense to because i liked a boy. "Wow, Foosh, so interesting."

He laughed for a second, making Luna's grin widen — she always loved his laugh. "This is honestly the most interesting thing I've done all day."

"Talking to me?"

"Yeah." Foolish reached up and ruffled her hair. "You're so interesting, Lunes."

Luna giggled, pushing his hand away. "Okay, okay, enough." Suddenly, the doorbell rang, making Luna pause. She glanced at the door before looking to Foolish, her eyebrows knit in confusion. "Is anyone else coming?"

Foolish shrugged, looking confused as well. "There shouldn't be."

"Hm." Luna started to move towards the door. "I'll get it."

She passed by the others, who had started to eat together in the living room. Luna finally reached the door and opened it. However, nobody could've prepared her for who stood on her front porch.

On the other side of the door was a boy that was the splitting image of Luna, just a couple of years younger. His hair was more curly than hers and his eyebrows were more defined, but other than that, there was the same face shape, the same fair skin, the same freckles that dusted across their cheeks that always became more prominent after sitting in the sun. He had his hands in his pockets and looked a little nervous.

"Hi, Luna," Sol Hayes greeted.

And suddenly, just like that, Luna Hayes felt her entire world crash around her.

Her body froze, although her hands felt shaky. It seemed that her heart had sunk all the way to her stomach and her breath lodged itself in her throat. Sabrina's songs and the chatter from the others seemed to fade to a dull ringing in her ears, and her mind felt like it had been sunk deep underneath the water. Luna hadn't seen her younger brother — or talked to him, really — since she left home at twenty-one and he was eighteen. Now, she was twenty-three and he was twenty.