The trials (Ch 8)

Candidate trials

0600 hours

...

...

Standing in the corridor, other workers and Jaeger pilots watch. At the edge of the mat by the door two other people watch with wooden bo staffs. All four people are in a singlet, loose pants and bare footed. Raleigh's singlet colour is white while the other three have navy blue. Yancy and Harriet stand off to the side by the door, at the head of the room with Stacker and Mako. Mako has a tablet and is marking things down on it while the fights commence.

...

Raleigh's current opponent is attacking, while he blocks their attempts. Raleigh hits the middle of their bo staff, and then grabs the staff with his and flips them onto the ground. Raleigh finishes this fight with aiming one of the ends at their neck. The crowd by the doorway applaud the victory.

"Four points to zero."

Mako writes something down on the tablet.

...

At Stacker's signal, the next opponent comes in, holding his bo staff with one hand and makes a show of spinning it around. He yells out and goes to attack Raleigh, being blocked at each attempt. When Raleigh hits one of his attacks away, Raleigh then goes in and flips him onto his stomach with his bo staff pressing against the back of his neck. The crowd applauds again.

"Four points to one."

...

His last opponent spins his staff above his head then around him and rests it on his shoulder. They both bring it up to a fighting position. His opponent attacks but is blocked each time, he spins them around and then hooks his staff under their knee and flips them onto the ground, aiming his staff at their neck, finishing the round.

"Four points to two."

...

"Okay, what?

You don't like them?

I thought you selected them personally."

"She did, Rals.

What she's doing is critiquing you.

You could have finished them at the start yet you held back.

... they were all too easy weren't they."

"I swear you and your analysation skills, Harriet."

"Why, thank you, Yance."

"Could we change this up?

How about we give her a shot, see if she gives me a challenge or if I have to hold back."

In the background some of the crowd cheers for the idea of Mako having a go with Raleigh.

"No, we stick to the cadet list we have, ranger.

Only candidates with Drift compatibility-"

"Which I have, Marshal."

"Pentecost, stop being a dick and let Mori have a go.

Because, Rals, is bored, if you didn't notice."

"This isn't about neural compatibility.

It's also physical-"
"Shut the fuck up and give te girl a chance.

And if I remember correctly, which I'm pretty sure I am,

Is that Yance and I were the next best choice for Rals co-pilots."