rin

oneshot
[prompt 1]

you didn't even ask for much. rin still got annoyed. so so annoyed when you walked several steps behind him, asking him to play with you too. he was only 9 after all. and you were only 8, following him, convincing him to play soccer with you too. you'd do great. you've watched people play. you can kick. you promise. you sounded like a broken record. your persistent requests met with a frustrated sigh. as he halted. and he turned around, placing the football down and kicking it towards you till it reached your feet.

"kick it."

with little contemplation, you gave the football a kick back to him. regrettably, your effort fell short—the ball only reaching the midway point between you and him. his eyebrows furrowed in disappointment, a visibly growing frustration. as he strode towards the ball. he took a powerful swing, launching it with great force towards your legs, causing a sharp pang of pain. wincing, you stood still regardless.

as he taunted you, his words dripped with arrogance as he boasted about his own foot strength(along with how him and his brother are going to be the best strikers in the world)(you have no idea what he's talking about) and urged you to make another attempt. your kick was very close to connecting to his feet, but alas, it fell just short. rin let out a huff before snatching up the ball and proceeding to say very spiteful things to you. how you suck. your soccer skills suck. and the pink hair clip you wore was ugly.

after saying all that, he simply turns around and strolls away. but you've had enough. you've only been nice to him, and you won't take this. and as a payback, you ran and jumped on his back and bit him.

as both get older, he got into his girls are weak and you got into your yuck, boys phase. he was not as expressive and so weren't you. rude remarks were the only thing you two had to offer each other. that one time, he accidentally found your diary. and before he got to read any further, you snatched it back and hit his head with the book.

few more years later. you've been avoiding him, he didn't had it in him to talk to you. but you did notice his change in behavior. he appeared colder, meaner, distant.

maybe finally at age when both could sit in a room together with just silence and no insults. maybe even little talks at the rooftop. he's gonna graduate highschool, hopefully changed for better. he wonders if you know that he was the one who placed the pink hairclips on your desk on valentines day. he lets you carry the conversation. and you could note him trying his best to come up with a playful remark that matched your energy.

shut up, rin-chan

hm? you still bite people who dont agree with you?

only annoying people

how annoying do i have to be for you to bite me again?

eh?

eh?

as a change of topic, he apologizes. it confuses you and he apologizes again. and you laugh at that, reminding that it was years ago. when you both were 9 and 8. a little hum from him and the quiet companies the cold on the rooftop.

you both are uni students now. but then again, rin is still uncertain about what to do when he notices you sitting all by yourself at a few tables' distance at the cafe. he wished for an excuse to talk to you and that was granted when you dropped your book as you walked out.

as he was about to utter your name, he abruptly halted at the sight of it—the familiar book with crumpled, off-white pages. he found it amusing that you still held onto it, despite your carelessness for dropping it.

he pretends he doesn't know what the book is. he pretends not to read the cover which has a big red cross with some fierce "keep off" labels and stickers.

he wished to see his name on it, instead he found so many of "hey diary, i almost forgot you existed" "got a hold of this diary 2 years later" "i forgot to write again" "i was lazy but anyway 3 years of not writing in this diary-" "im so inconsistent"

his face shows nothing but disbelief. but then he remembers when he had read that one page full detail of "i hate rin-chan" he remembers how right after reading that he got hit on the head with the same book.

he finds the valentines day page. he could almost feel the arrogance in your handwriting where it said "i know who got me the clips."

when he sights a "rin-chan" written a few pages after, he reads the starting line...rin-chan is so mean- he skips the start. by the end you had confessed to your diary that you only wanted to get closer to him. and that you had no interest in soccer whatsoever.

he scoffs.

one thing rin didn't realise that he was in the middle of the cafe reading that. and what shook him to realization was the bells ringing when you hurried back into the cafe looking for your diary.