iv. The Six

THE SIXSpring of 1975

THE SIX
Spring of 1975.

Addy: I like to think I was very mature about it. I knocked politely at the door, waved to his housekeeper, then sat on the couch until he came home. Like the mature adult I was, I waved the vinyl in his face and gave him my best poker face. Teddy looked back at me.

 "That was my song. You can't just give it to some, some—" I looked at the cover, "rock band."

 "Addy, the Six is practically the rock band. It gives you good publicity if you're just seen with them a few times."

 I glared. "It's still my song!"

 "Addy. Supermodel isn't you. You are the supermodel. That's your entire brand. Your album already has the green light, anyway."

 Silence on my side.

 "Like I said, think of it as publicity."

Billy: I expected her to be, you know, happy. Number three on the charts! What else could she want?

Eddie Loving (bassist, the Six): We're sitting around in the studio, then this girl with shaggy blonde hair walks in like she owns the place. White halter top, this checkered skirt that doesn't quite reach her knees, and a matching lounge jacket. She's put together. Not like us. Addy had that sort of energy. She knew what she wanted and you think you can stop her? [Laughs.]

 Goes up to me so close, those blue eyes right in my face. I think I stopped breathing. Larger than life, was the word to describe it. When you're so close you're almost touching ... I, well, I think she's going to kiss me and then she goes and demands, "where's Billy Dunne?"

 That's it. Another reason I could resent Billy. What am I, his agent?

Karen Sirko (keyboardist, the Six): Eddie looks like he's been punched in the gut. I wave at her, gesture at the door. Billy walks in right then, and this time, she does sock him in the gut.

Billy: Look, I see her, I recognize her from the magazines that have her name plastered over them. From her cover. I'm smiling, man. I'm about to thank her. Then she goes and punches me. What did I do?

Addy: I don't regret it. One of the most satisfying things I've ever done. 

Eddie: I kind of fell in love with her right there and then. She was in heels, for Christ's sake.

Klara: Heels were Addy's thing. It fit in a lot with the whole vibe. [Laughs] I mean, you'd expect her to have Barbie feet from how often she wore them.