Chapter 7| Mutuals?

Kaynath kept looking at her Casio watch repeatedly, and not listening to a word they were saying

Kaynath kept looking at her Casio watch repeatedly, and not listening to a word they were saying. The cool metal wrapped around her wrist caused a band of sweat on the edges as she panicked.

There was a guy on the opposite end of the couch and kept glancing at her with a soft smile. His parents chatted with hers and then after a while, her mother elbowed her.

"Huh?" she asked, blinking a few times to clear her head.

"Why don't you chat with Raheem? While we figure some things out," she smiled towards his family but as soon as she got up to leave, her mother tugged on the end of her hijab.

She raised an eyebrow questioningly.

"Please try, one time," her mom pleaded silently with her eyes. She didn't really need to communicate with words, as they shared the same gift: culinary arts. Food and sweets made a huge impact on both of them and the food they created; it mostly gave each other abilities to gauge emotions if either had the other's meals just hours before.

It was a weird trait but oh well. Just like customers came complaining of sour payasams not because it had gone stale but because her mood had been sour when she made it once.

2 p.m. It was just after lunch. If she didn't leave now, she wouldn't be able to make it for Mirza's appointment. She did promise her she'd be there, especially after she told her her close friend probably couldn't make it. She even set up five alarms so she wouldn't forget it and be on time.

They went up to the balcony and he looked at her expectantly. He was dressed in a white button down shirt and black jeans.

She sighed. A new day and a new person to disappoint.

"I know our parents seem to agree on this, but I don't," he smiled and looked ahead, leaning against the dangerously low wall. It made her heart leap and she felt her pulse quicken.

"Could you um, get away from the wall? It's very low and you could fall over."

He pushed back and moved a little further away. "Afraid of heights?"

"Kinda. I know it's weird," she laughed a little nervously and then remembered what he said. "Wait."

"Yeah."

"You don't want this, at all?"

"Nope," he shook his head, dark curls bouncing around. "I actually have two partners."

"Oh." She was a little stunned to speak, but was extremely glad about the prospect of not having to convince yet another person.

"Yeah," he laughed with glee. "I suppose you're either shocked by this or are actually interested in me."

"The former..." she trailed away. "You can have multiple partners?"

"Sure, if everyone's okay with it. The people involved, I mean."