CHAPTER XXIII - WHAT IS PHASE 2?

Start from the beginning

Steve was nothing more than just a great friend that Sophia cared for deeply, and that's it. Nothing else.

As they walked, Sophia decided to break the strangely comfortable silence.

-Are you going to tell me where we're going?.- She asked as she turned to look at Steve with a raised eyebrow.

-You have questions and so do I, and I think the best way to answer them is search for something.- Steve answered looking at her and then glancing back, making sure no one was following.

-And that something is...- Sophia trailed off and Steve smiled a little.

-We'll know when we see it.- He answered, looking at Sophia and she just rolled her eyes mockingly.

Being around each other was comforting, but the comfort started to fade as soon as they reached a hallway Sophia had never been to. Her eyebrows scrunched in confusion at the name of the door.

Secure Storage 10-C

She was sure she had been to every single storage room in the Helicarrier, but this one, oddly enough, she never had. Steve turned to look at her and she shrugged.

Even though Sophia had the required level of clearance to open the door, she couldn't do it, mostly because if she did, they'd know she had been snooping around in the things they had been trying so hard to hide from her.

Steve knew this and he also didn't want to risk Sophia to do something like that and put her on the line, so he decided to do one of the best things they had taught him while in fighting Nazi Germany.

Break in.

Steve took a step to the front and positioned his hands on each side of the door, then he pulled. At first, Sophia (wrongly) doubted that he could open the door, for it would require a lot of strength, but when the hinges of it creaked, and maybe even broke, she knew he had done it. Once Steve managed to open the door completely, he turned to look at her. Just when she was about to cross the door, he laid a hand in front of her, blocking her way.

He decided to go in first, so if anything or anyone came to them, he might be able to protect her. Once again, he was very well aware that she didn't need protection. Even though he had never really seen her in action, he knew she was capable of breaking someone in just one step, but the sudden birth of feelings unknown and still foreign to him, urged him to do so.

Sophia looked at him and at his arm and even though a part of her wanted to be annoyed at him for doing it, the other part was slightly grateful and her heart fluttered just a little. As these thoughts came to mind, she thought it to be the worst timing for them.

Steve and Sophia made their way inside, turning around to make sure no one was following. As they walked further, they looked around the place. Boxes were lined up on both sides of the hallway, their eyes roamed the room, eying the different loads and metal containers that filled the place. Sophia walked in front of Steve and halted in her steps at the sound of voices in the distance. She placed her left hand on Steve's chest, stopping him in his tracks. He turned to look at her and with her chin, she pointed to the guys walking the platform above. Steve's eyes moved to the top and gave a nod.

After making sure they couldn't be seen, they walked to the side. Sophia had no idea what Steve was thinking, but as he took a small run, he leaped on top of the boxes and then jumped on the other bridge above them. She looked at him with an unamused look, like saying "are you kidding?". Steve was about to help her up, but then he saw her jump on the box and then swiftly on the bridge beside him, landing gracefully and softly, her landing barely making a sound as her feet touched the ground.