Resting in Your Arms

Start from the beginning

"I wasn't rejected", another voice joined the conversation. Raziela kept her head bowed. "Greetings to the future hope of Arden", she said with a soft voice. "Keep your head high, Lady Raziela. It is a celebration of your family's bravery", Edel said then walked past them. "He must have felt the rejection, " Elaine whispered, giving a soft pat on Raziela's shoulder. "You don't have to worry about that so come see me as often as possible", the princess followed her brother and continued teasing him.

"Shall we go take some drinks?", Ciaran suggested. He offered his arm for the lady to hold on to. Raziela had a soft smile and leaned on him. "Ciaran, you're a good man. You should find yourself a wife and make sure to have many children so I can dote on them in the future", she looked up and Ciaran immediately looked away. "You speak as if it's that easy to make a family", he had a tint of flush on his face and grabbed a drink from a servant. 

I don't do well with liquor but I think one drink wouldn't hurt. 

"Toast to your father's victory!"

"You look lovely as ever, Lady Raziela. Let me get you a drink". 

"I hope to see you more often. May I please get you a drink". 

Raziela can feel her head spinning around. "The lady will get a short break", someone went in between. Ciaran is being swarmed by ladies from different houses. "I will be leading you to the guest room", Glen gave a smile and gently pushed her towards the exit. As they reached the corridor, the lady passed out from all the drinks offered to her. 

Guest Room

"What a careless lady", Glen commented and let her down on the bed. "I have to get away from the Crown Prince", she quickly said. Glen was quick to pull back before getting headbutted. Raziela squinted her eyes and saw a blonde. She thought it was Edel. "Your Highness, what are you doing here?", she gulped and was about to stand. "You drank a lot so take time to sober up", Glen passed a glass of water that was already prepared by a servant. "Thank you. My apologies that you have to take care of me", Raziela reached out and drank. 

She thought I was the Crown Prince.

"Where is your brother?", Glen sat at the chair

"Where is your brother?", Glen sat at the chair. "Gaius. I don't know where he is now but I hope he's just safe", the lady answered. "It's just the two of us so you can be honest. Why did you disguise as your brother and went to the North?", the blonde slightly bent down. "You will laugh if you'd know", Raziela covered her face with her other arm. "I won't. That's a promise", Glen sat properly and waited for the lady to open her mouth. 

"I had this painful dream. My brother went on a military expedition to prove that he could be the next Captain of the Order. Two years later, I was engaged to you that same year. I waited for him to return but all that came back was the news that he perished on the battlefield. It was due to the Emperor's decree for them to attack the North. They were only there to pursue rebels but the plan changed. I was married to you, the Crown Prince who then became the next Emperor just after another year. My father was sent to another mission in the North and also lost his life. That dream wounded me to the bones so I trained for three years, I don't want them to be taken away from me so I have to do something", the lady narrated. 

Wine does make you honest. 

"So, was it like a premonition? It's too detailed to be just a dream", Glen hummed. "I don't know what else to call it but I never intended for the Empire to be deceived or even take credit for what ", Raziela pressed her lips together. "You went to risk your life just because of a dream that could or could not happen", the blonde reached out to Raziela's head and patted it. "What if you died?", he closed his eyes. 

"I want to live. Because when I die this early, I will no longer see the ones that I love. I will no longer be able to make new precious memories with them", Raziela leaned gripped on Glen's sleeves. "So when the kingsguard suddenly appeared, I felt glued on my feet", the lady suddenly had tears escaping her eyes. Even with her arms covering her eyes, it found its way to show itself to the Duke. "He killed my comrades in just a few seconds. For some reason, he turned to the Emperor and cut his head off. He handed me the head and told me he was just there for amusement", Raziela gasped for air. 

"Must have been tough for you then", Glen leaned on the chair having Raziela let go of his sleeve. "Sleep well, dear lady", he said under his breathe. 

The next days

The next days

Crown Prince's Office

Raziela felt like her soul was seeping through her body. There was quite a huge wall in between them. "Pass me the next pile of papers", Edel commanded. It felt like his demeanor towards her didn't change. The knight followed as she was told. "How are you feeling?", Edel finally talked about her welfare. "I had sufficient rest because of your generosity", Raziela answered. She swears to stay away from liquor the next time. "Once you're done here, you can go and spend your time with Duke Sinclair", the Crown Prince mentioned the name and the atmosphere suddenly turned tense. 

Is he asking me to throw myself to that man who nearly killed me?

Why is she not reacting after I saw Duke Glen heading out of the guest room where she was carelessly lying down?

Flashback

That night, Edel was looking for Raziela to clear things with her. He saw the Duke heading out of the guest room. "Why are you here, Duke Sinclair?", he approached the man and saw the other person inside the room sleeping peacefully. Glen covered the view and gently closed the door. "May His Highness find it not disrespectful for that dear lady to stay for a quick rest", the blonde bowed his head. Edel clenched his fist and wished not to imply anything about what he just saw. 

Present

"That's unfair. His Highness will make me work to the bone and won't even let me see my siblings on special days", Avneil started complaining. "Special days? How many times do you need to see your siblings? I already permitted you during their birthdays", Edel clicked his tongue. "You're saying that because you can spend a lot with Her Highness. You might act as if you're tough around her but you have so many soft spots when it comes to her", the man teased. Raziela gave a short laugh. "What? Do you find it funny?", Edel looked at her and suddenly recalled her in woman's clothes. He looked away. "His Highness is fond of her sister", she agreed.

Am I imagining it? The Crown Prince seems to be so detached. By the way, did I see him during Father's celebration? I felt so much headache the next day and I don't really remember anything about that night. 

There was a knock on the door. "Your Highness, it is time for you to meet the candidates", Ciaran bowed. "This will be a tough task. All the ladies are capable", Avneil hummed and looked at Raziela. "Why don't you accompany His Highness that he will not repeat the same thing that happened the night of his sister's coming of age? Poor Princess, she had to catch her brother with a woman in a bed", the secretary faked his cries. Ciaran and Edel coughed at the same time. "Oh, you were also there, Sir Traun? Is that woman truly that bewitching that His Highness has to act even before he gets to choose his fiance?", Lance smirked. Ciaran gulped and looked at Raziela. "She is", he said as soon as Raziela's eyes landed on his. "Enough talk. It's time to go", the prince wore his cape and went out. 

Chapter end.