Chapter 2

The Compensation

It has been raining incessantly for hours and it doesn't seem to stop soon. The rain, however, is less heavy now—from a destructive level to an annoying thrumming—but that doesn't irritate Rain that much compared to the thing he has just heard and the fact that he was kissed on the cheek by one of his brothers.

Is the rain drumming too loudly that I can't hear him correctly?

Despite being uncertain, Rain still tries to justify the situation as he strengthens his grip on the umbrella and keeps his distance from the man who's now checking the engine in the hood.

Phayu didn't say anything else after that; he just stretched his arm past Rain's face to pull the trigger switch to open the hood and then went on to inspect the engine as if nothing happened. Rain was stunned and confused, and he wanted to argue against Phayu's claim but he wouldn't be listened to. He got back from the trance when Phayu told him to get out of the car so Phayu could try another attempt to start the engine.

So, now Rain is outside of his car and still hasn't got the chance to deny his accusation.

"I must've misheard it," Rain murmurs.

Right. He must have heard it wrongly. As a decent ex-student whom everyone pays respect to, a cool biker like Phayu can't be that kind of a vulgar-tongue guy. He might have actually said that I need to learn some essential, technical skills. That must be it. Sensual skills and essential skills sound pretty much alike.

Rain finally finds the reason to smile, and at the same time, he meets the eagle's glare, and that makes him look away again to avoid eye contact.

Ugh, why do you have to be this handsome? My heart is skipping a beat!

"Well, it's radiator leaks, and judging by what I hear, there's a problem with the starter motor as well, I guess. You're gonna have to leave your car here tonight 'cause I don't think any garage would send their men here through the rain to tow it. You'll have to wait 'til tomorrow morning anyway. If there's no flood, to be noted."

Rain goes hollow on the inside and takes a glance at the ground where he's standing. The parking lot has become some sort of a wetland. And if it rains all night, Warren doesn't need any fortune teller to tell him that no one will struggle their way through this inundation to save his car. Most importantly, he doesn't know of any garage, either near or far.

"All right. See ya later."

*grab*

"Hold on. You can't leave me like this!"

Under this kind of critical circumstance, Rain forgets everything he's just told. He plunges forward, grabs his second-time savior's hand, and looks up to him with desperate puppy eyes.

Phayu looks down to his hand where it's being held, so Rain hurriedly lets go.

"I just wonder if you could suggest any service station to me, or just any towing service available at this time."

The handsome brother rubs his chin, thinking, and this sight gives Rain some hopeful assurance that he might know some servos, otherwise he must have said no right away.

"Sure. But the fee is not budget-friendly. Will you be okay with that?"

"Certainly!"

The young man is very sure that the power of his father's credit card is invincible to all problematic issues, including this itty-bitty one. He smiles ear to ear and hasn't noticed that his conversation partner is also smirking pleasantly. Phayu makes a call and Rain makes a guess that, on the other end of the line, it must be some garage that he expected to get help from. It doesn't take long before the tall man hangs up and turns around to meet him again.