"It's not like I chose to-"

"Shut up."

"Don't tell me to shut up."

"Hey, this is good mac and cheese, Sid." Izzy interrupted.

"Thank you, Izzy."

"You're welcome."

They ate in silence. Awkward silence. Finally, Sid got up and placed his bowl in the sink. Rowen and Izzy copied, rinsing them out and leaving them as they readied to leave the apartment.

Rowen wore Izzy's backpack on their walk to her house, saying it felt like nothing. And to her, it did feel like nothing. They came upon a small crowd on the corner, waiting to cross the street, so they held hands to stay together. Izzy volunteered to be sandwiched between the two siblings, so they wouldn't kill each other.

Rowen and Sid left Izzy in the lobby of her apartment complex. To each of their delights, they planned that Izzy would come over the next morning to walk to school with Rowen again. It happened almost every morning, but it was still a nice surprise every time Rowen got to look forwards to seeing her.

As great as an overprotective brother is(it's not really great), Rowen couldn't tolerate him walking her around again. So she stopped walking next to him, just falling behind a few steps. Sid didn't like that.

He turned around. "Seriously?"

"What."

"We have to go home."

"I'm going there."

"I'm not gonna constantly turn around to check if you're still behind me." He muttered. "Either walk in front of me or walk next to me."

"Can I please just walk myself?" She asked. "I'm fully capable of not getting mugged."

He raised his eyebrows. They were holding up the foot traffic.

"Okay, well, maybe not last night but I'm better now." Rowen protested. "I could probably just fight my way out of it now."

"Really? You're like a stick."

"I am not-" She scoffed. "If anyone's a stick, it's you. You can barely lift a watermelon."

"That's because I was carrying three other bags of groceries that you couldn't."

"Well, I already had four bags."

"And I only have two arms."

Rowen rolled her eyes, moving to stand next to the closest building.

"Can we please just go home?" Sid asked. "Without you getting mugged?"

"I'm not gonna get mugged again oh my god-" Rowen paused. That feeling was back. Pins pricked her arms, sending shocks throughout her body. Her vision narrowed, hit by a sudden wave of suspense. She froze, glancing around her surroundings.

"Rowen?" Sid poked her arm. She leaned away, looking around. "What the fuck are you doing?"

"Shut up." She muttered. She scanned the people around her, then turned around. There was nothing wrong. Nothing suspicious, no people hiding in the shadows.

"Seriously, what the fuck are you doing?" He continued.

"Sidney, shut the fuck up, hold on." She flicked her gaze to the rooftops, going over each window and balcony, looking for anything, anything out of the ordinary.

"No, what's going on, what did you do?"

"I didn't do anything, I just-" She stopped her search, staring directly at the culprit on the apartment roof two buildings down. He must've been twenty stories up. "Look."