Dirty Little Traitor (Chapter 24)

Start from the beginning

"Creative?"
I mumbled in thought, my eyes fixed on the chilli peppers in slight concern

"Ehk- No, please! I just wanted to help my friends, suddenly I needed to choose between you guys and I-"
Ink cut itself off biting its lip

"Who did you need to choose between?"
Cotton questioned in a cold tone making the other look down

"You guys and-"
The Mokke hesitated
"Promise you won't immediately rub Chilli in my eye when you hear my answer..."
Ink mumbled now squirming in its restraints

"Oh Ink~ We can't promise anything, you better pray we won't and now answer!"
Mint's soothing voice bleed into wrath making the tied-up Mokke close its eye as it got yelled at.

"HANAKO OBVIOUSLY! I'VE BEEN FRIENDS WITH HIM FOR YEARS!!!"
It finally confessed and I felt myself freeze in my spot as it continued spilling the truth like a flow of blood running down my back and leaving me cold.

"I wasn't sure what to dO, how To CHOOSE! SO I-...did nothing. I observed carefully trying to see your view of the world. And I ended up choosing...you know."

I looked displeased, evident disappointment in my tone
"Why?! AFTER ALL YOU SAW HAPPENING TO MOKKE!"

"Teh, now don't take this the wrong way and I know this is the dumbest thing I can say in my position but HECK IT! Might as well give you peace of my Mind!"
Ink spoke, voice stern and harsh

"OH? Go ahead why don't you! Let's see how your little argument is going to undo all my troubles~"
I taunt, confident that I could counter all it had to say

"You piss me off so much I don't want to tell you anymore but you kinda also remind me of Bubble, so listen close. Some of us DON'T LIVE ON THE EDGE ALL THE TIME! We are careful and stay out of trouble, what did you expect being near an exorcist?!"
Ink replied with you would think a stern look but instead, it looked as if it was doubting its words

"Are you saying it's my fault now?!"
I ask with disappointment in my tone and the Mokke is quick to reply

"I'm saying that not only Mokke but every ghost is in danger near an exorcist, they are like our sworn enemy. You don't gotta make the whole world pay for it."

"So apparently in your world, Mokke don't get bullied. Are we just going to ignore all the others being assholes? They are stepping on us like ants, what about those?!"
I keep myself from yelling by gripping the fabric of my hoodie to calm down a bit. I take a deep breath as Ink continues talking.

"Do you avoid stepping on every ant?
There are always some idiots out there, no one can change that! There are also many good people. Many Mokke are friends with other ghosts and humans. We don't need to make them all pay, take Yashiro as an example! What did she do wrong? Exactly nothing and yet she is caught up in the midst of all this."

"I guess...sacrifices have to be made."
My tone was low, I wasn't proud of my words, but I meant them. A dark shadow cast over my face giving my eyes a dim but bone-chilling glint. "I rather am the one that is stepping than be the one stepped on."
I added in a low voice

Cotton gave me a sneaky side glance as Inks's eyes widened. It wasn't struggling in its restraints anymore as if it was trying to make peace with something inside it. Slowly it lowered its head.

"At least this iS what I'm trying to make myself believe now. I BELIEVED ALL THAT! HOW FUCKING STUPID!"
The little creature grabbed its head in despair as it started shaking.

"What do you- mean by that?"
I ask genuinely confused maybe even concerned

"Life was so good. We played cards, hung out and got fed candies, everything was peaceful and always would be. Or so I thought when I first started providing Hanako with information...I was dumb and blind and only seconds after I did Bubble had gotten hurt, for no fricking reason or so I thought once again, oh how wrong I was..."
It took a soft breath and stopped shivering as it menacingly stared at the ground, now shaking its head.