11: a glimpse in their academy life

Start from the beginning

In an instant, Jaehyuk stood straight, like a soldier, stunning everyone. Even Kang Sucheon was slapped in the face by surprise.

Seo Jiwoo then saw the reason for Jaehyuk's odd reaction. "Ho-Jun!"

That name made Kang Sucheon freeze.

"Kang. Su. Cheon," Ahn Ho-Jun emphasized each syllable of his name, causing Kang Sucheon to straighten up.

Though Sucheon was an arrogant person, he didn't believe that he could beat Ahn Ho-Jun on his own. Don't make him laugh, there was a reason why the older generation deemed that crazy guy as the strongest in the new generation. He once had the luck to witness Ho-Jun few years back. It was when his father took him abroad to widen his horizon.

The Cai Shen Clan was recruiting unaffiliated Awakeners, discovering those who had powers but had no idea of their identity, and giving them a place in Cai Shen Clan.

At that time, Kang Sucheon was just an eleven-year-old kid.

There, at the site of recruitment, was a child around his age, surrounded by intimidating men in what seems to be traditional chinese robes - were they called changshan? He couldn't remember. But their aura intimidated not only him but also the people from Baekdu who came along with him and his father.

The child had a gloomy aura around him, eyes narrowed in anger, eyebrows furrowed in frustration. Sucheon could even imagine a scowl behind that medical mask the child wore.

A commotion occurred in the crowd of unaffiliated Awakeners, and someone rushed out. That person appeared in a frenzy, like a wild animal set loose. A ball of flame flickered into existance at the palm of his hand, his figure heading straight to the gloomy child.

At first, Sucheon thought that his bodyguards would take that person down before he could approach the child but what he saw appeared to be beyond his imagination.

Instead of waiting to be protected, that child reached out his hand, fingers spread open. From afar, Sucheon couldn't hear a single word but a gray shadow rushed towards the frenzied person out of nowhere.

In the next second, a pool of blood formed at that person's feet. The gray shadow was a mechanical wolf; it bit into that person's shoulder, and a deafening crack echoed in the silence.

Then, a scream of utter fear and pain filled Sucheon's senses.

Ever since, Kang Sucheon hoped that he would never again see that child.

But fate was a bitch.

That child who terrified him so much now stood behind him, grabbing his shoulder with one hand. His very presence sent shivers down his spine, and Sucheon couldn't find the strength to speak a single word.

"I think I've been a bit too behaved in class that you have the fucking guts to lay a hand on my friend."

Electric blue eyes emitted an ominous glow. Now, not only was Kang Sucheon afraid to speak, but the rest of the students in the cafeteria as well.

Hell, one of them dared not breathe lest Ho-Jun directed his attention towards them.

"That's enough," Jang Giwook arrived just in time before Ho-Jun could do anything. "What are you guys doing here?" His eyes swept over them, only looking at Ho-Jun for a second before he fixed his stern gaze on Sucheon and his group

Knowing that they were saved, Sucheon and his group quickly made their way out, not even looking back.

Now that they were out of sight, Ho-Jun scoffed and handed the lunchboxes to Jiwoo and Wooin.