𝓢𝓔𝓡𝓘𝓔𝓢 𝓞𝓝𝓔 ❣︎ 23

Start from the beginning

Watching from behind trees (Ember had a telescope) they saw Xavier stop, rest his bike against a tree, and walk towards a car.

"Hey, what's so urgent?"

It was only then that Ember noticed Dr Valerie Kinbott, her therapist, standing at the door of the car. Xavier quickly explained to her what was wrong, and they both got into the car. Ember watched, her dog helmet still on her head, as they talked.

She didn't know what she was going to do about this one.

❣︎❣︎❣︎

Ember knew barging into Weems' office wasn't the best way to go, but she was out of options.

"Principal Weems, it is imperative that I speak with you about Dr Kinbott," she demanded, hobbling into the office on her crutch and good leg, and seeing the principal at her laptop.

"Ember," Weems said with a sort of smirk. "We were just talking about you."

"Speak of the devil."

Ember would've had to have about a hundred guesses before she got to Kinbott for who was standing in Weems' office. But there she was. Her wide-set eyes sparkling ominously; her half-moon necklace shining on her neck.

She was holding a tray of two coffees, something that made Ember think she had been here a while.

After her secret session with Xavier, of course.

"And there she is," Ember said, trying not to look surprised.

"Dr Kinbott was just discussing your assessment," Weems put in from her desk, as Kinbott walked over. "I need to sign off on it before she hands it into the court."

"So what's the verdict, doctor?" Ember asked of the therapist sarcastically, her crutch banging on the wooden office floor as she walked over. "I haven't been eating my apples but I do hope you can stay away from now on."

Kinbott just put the tea tray down and turned to Ember with (for one of the first times ever) a hard stare. "I'm glad you find it amusing, because the judge assigned to your case won't."

"I've explained to Dr Kinbott that you've recently been taking small but meaningful steps to embracing your new Nevermore family," Weems, meanwhile, was smiling at both of the people in her office.

Ember just stared on with wide eyes. "Yes. You know, I think I've actually reached the half-hug stage by now."

Whilst Weems smiled up at Kinbott, the latter gave Ember a smirk. Kinbott's certainly bursting out of her shell, Ember thought inquisitively. Combined with the secret sessions with Xavier and the cold, hard look she'd been fixing Ember with, the girl wouldn't be surprised if Kinbott was becoming a whole new person.

"I've been reading about hypnotherapy," so she decided to take a new approach. She was almost certain Xavier was the Hyde, and with Kinbott seeing him secretly... she could be the master. "I think it might be a good technique to unlock my inner Ember. Are you a devotee?"

Kinbott was either playing dumb, or had no idea what was happening. "Yes, very much so," she said with a smile. A genuine one. "I applaud your new willingness to delve deep into yourself. Well, I'm seeing you on Monday, why don't we start then?" She took a sip of tea.

"I can hardly wait." Was Ember's biting reply.

"What did you so urgently need to discuss, Ember?" Oh, great. Weems drawing the attention back to Ember's opening line was irritating. She wasn't discussing her suspects when the second top on the list was in the room.