Spoke has a nightmare

Platonic relationships

Tw: neglect

Parrot got used to his roomate's weird sleeping position. More exactly, he slept with his hand on the opposite shoulder. Something about nightmares and all that, Parrot remembered Spoke say. And he wasn't really amazed, Spoke did have a rough childhood from what Parrot heard.

Another thing Parrot remembered was that Spoke wasn't sure what hybrid he was. "My parents didn't like the idea of hybrids, so they focused on my brother." Spoke once told him. And honestly, Parrot could tell how much Spoke was missing physical touch and, after all, just care.

He exited the bathroom and laid on his side of the bed, back to back with Spoke who was facing the wall. His upper wing covered him like a blanket, the other one stretching in front of him. Parrot closed his eyes, listening to the silent melody that was playing in his head. He felt Spoke shift under his wing and Parrot thought that he brought his knees to his chest. 'Weird' Parrot thought as his wing twitched, slightly hitting the guy behind him.

Spoke flinched, suddenly turning around and pushing himself into the wall that now stood behind him. His chest was moving fast up and down and his eyes were scanning the room as if they were expecting for something to jump at him.

Parrot sat up, eyes lazily opening. He turned around to look at Spoke whose facial expression could be described as if he saw a ghost. "You good, bro?" He asked with his sleep-filled voice. Spoke didn't answer, instead curling in on himself, head buried in his knees. Parrot could hear Spoke taking deep breaths, or at least tying his best to while in his I-saw-a-ghost state.

"Parrot?" Spoke muttered with a silent, shaky voice. "Can," he started before taking a deep breath, "can you hug me?" Parrot was silent for a few seconds before crawling his way over to Spoke's side. He sat next to him, pulling Spoke onto his lap and wrapping his arms around him along with his wings.

Spoke grabbed his left arm, holding onto it for dear life. His nails were digging into his skin and his back was pressed against his chest, but he didn't mind as long as it helped Spoke calm down. Parrot's free hand ran through Spoke's hair, massaging his scalp and playing with the curls that fell into his face. With a smooth move, Parrot turned Spoke around so that he was facing him, forcing Spoke to release his grip. Parrot also noticed something unexpected in Spoke's eyes, something like the anxiety you get after you read something for your classmates and you're now waiting to be judged. Parrot grabbed his jaw and fixed Spoke's eyes on his. Parrot never took notice of his brown to gray eyes, but he was sure as hell that he could stare for hours.

But he didn't have the hours he needed, so he pulled the shorter to his chest, laying down and covering themselves with Parrot's wing. With the other hand still running through his hair, Parrot subconsciously decided to give Spoke the care and affection he never got, to be there for him like a parent he didn't get the chance to have.

Spoke shyly wrapped his arms around Parrot, being careful not to touch his wings' joints. He brought himself closer to Parrot, his mind finding it hard to believe someone care so much about him.

"Spoke, go to sleep," Parrot whispered into the other's ear.

"Thanks," Spoke's muffled voice spoke.

"I love you" Parrot said, getting Spoke to curl around him in an answer.

And it was fine to Parrot because Parrot knew Spoke's love language and he knew his ways of saying 'I love you' back.