Chapter 12: Jett Connell

I stare at the baby monitor for a bit, then flinch and drop it when someone in the hallway starts to talk. I lean against the door, listening in. There are two voices, a guy and a girl.

Girl: “I have to go Seth!”

Boy (probably Seth): “Come on Livvy, all you did last night was sleep. Just one kiss? Please?”

Girl (‘Livvy’): “I really need to talk to Levy babe.”

Seth: “Liv, seriously, what’s wrong? You’ve been acting really weird.”

Liv: “I’m fine!”

It’s silent. I figure I won’t be interrupting if I walk out now, so I open the door. Seth and Liv jump apart when they realized I was there. Redness rose in her cheek prettily and Seth turned bright red. Liv cleared her throat.

“I should go,” She said.

“Yeah,” Seth said. “If you’re gonna leave, call me, alright? I wouldn’t want…” But she’s already gone.

I walk over to him, holding out a hand that isn’t holding the baby monitor. I felt oddly bare wearing nothing but sweats.

“Jett Connell,” I introduce myself. He shakes my hand firmly, but warily.

“Seth Montgomery,” he replies letting go of my hand.

“Levy told me to ask you for a shirt,” I say, not knowing what else to do. He nods and goes into his room. I run a hand through my hair. Damn, it’s getting long. I need a haircut. He returns and throws me a grey shirt. I pull it on and nod my thanks.

Awkward silence.

“So,” Both of us begin.

“You go,” I say. He takes a deep breath.

“You’re my sister’s mate?” He sizes me up.

“Yes.”

“Have you…you know?” He made an awkward hand motion.

“What?” I ask, confused.

“You know, done the—“

“Oh,” I say, his words dawning on me. “No, we haven’t.”

“She was in your room last night,” He said accusingly.

“Yes,” I said, not wanting to press the topic.

“Why?” He said, pressing the topic.

“Nightmare.” I said, my voice hard. He changed the topic.

“Are you going to?”

“Going to what?” This kid really needed to ask better questions.

“Do it.” He said awkwardly.

“No, she wants Liam, whoever he is, more than me…at the moment.

“You think she’ll leave him for you?” He said curiously. “She doesn’t know you. I don’t know you.”

I shrug. “I’m her mate. We’re meant to be. Can you imagine your mate, Liv, rejecting you?” I challenge.

His eyes harden. “She would have come around.”

“Exactly what I’m banking on. I won’t force her into anything.”

Seth considers this. “Good, because then I would have to kill you.”

“You can’t.”

“I’m allowed, pack rules.” He puffs his chest out like a five year old, proud of their crayon drawing.

“Yeah,” I say. “But you would lose. I’ve killed more Weres than I can count, or remember.”

“Not sure I’d want a guy like you to be my sister’s mate. Just saying.” He said, half impressed with my skills, half disgusted, and more than a bit scared. “Hey, are you joining our pack?”

“I guess,” I say, not having though about it before.

The baby monitor crackles to life.  Someone is laughing. Then:

“Holy shit!” She sound of pee fills the air. Seth looks at me then we burst out laughing. Levy continues by cursing the baby. “Devil child!”

“Have a good night?” Levy says. Liv yawns.

“No—well I did sleep for 10 hours but I’m still so effing tired!” Liv yawns again. “But I have to tell you something.”

There’s the sound of movement through the monitor and the gurgle of a baby.

“Are you—never mind. I have to tell you something,” Liv says.

“Tell away,” Levy says.  

“I’m…uh, well, I might be…but I’m not sur—“

“What is it?” Says Levy gently. Then Liv says something I can’t make out.

“Pregnant?” Levy repeats. “How do you know already?”

 “Intuition? But Seth said I smelled slightly different this morning, so I wondered.”

“You do smell different,” Remus lets out a cry. “Damn I need to feed him. Wanna come with?”

 “Yeah , I need to learn how to take care of a kid soon enough as it is. Now’s better than never.”

Silence. I look over to Seth, who is frozen. I’m not surprised. I would have been the same way if I found out I was going to be a dad. Before I can say anything, he explodes.

“Why the fuck didn’t she tell me first? I’m her mate! Instead she goes to my sister!” I but in.

“It seems like she didn’t know how to tell you, man. Levy seems to be her best friend; of course she’ll go to her first. Chill out.”

He stops breathing heavy, but still looks pissed. We both turn when we hear voices on the stairs. “Everyone heard you Liv. I’m sorry.” The voice sounds familiar—I linked it with the pain.

Someone starts to run down the stairs. Liv flies by us, and I taste the saltiness of tears in the air. Seconds later, Levy flies by, and she turns, her eyes meeting mine, before she disappears down the stairs.

Seth nudges me. “See? I might not like you, but she’ll come around. Hopefully sooner than later.” I nod.

The running stops and Seth and I walk out to the landing to watch the scene below.

“We’re all family here,” Levy says. “No one else will know until you’re ready. We all love you, well except Annabel and Jett, be he doesn’t know you and Annabel’s got her share of secrets, They won’t tell. No judgment. Seth and I will be there for you for all of it. Come here.” She hugs her tightly. “Everything will be alright.” She whispers, and I stand frozen at the top of the stairs when I imagine me comforting her when she cries. Like she’s doing right now. Like she did last night.

She’ll come around, Rafe says. I nod, hoping so. Then I walk away, her eyes glued to my back.

I have a plan. And it’s rolling into action.