5

Princess Candace was a beautiful woman by anyone's standards. Kaveh couldn't refute that. The air around her was perfect in every way, down to the way she held her teacup. Her personal attendant had a scary face. Kaveh made a note to himself never to get on her nerves. 

"It appears we are betrothed, you and I," Candace sipped her tea. 

"Yes," Kaveh leaned back on the couch, unsure of what to say or do. He had no interest in this relationship. 

Under the pretense of pouring Kaveh more tea, Alhaitham muttered by his ear: "You must ask her to go to the ball with you, Prince Kaveh." Kaveh reluctantly picked up the cup. 

"Would yo-" 

"It is customary," she interrupted, "in my kingdom to attend balls with your closest servants." Alhaitham raised an eyebrow and looked quizically at Dehya. She was also confused but managed to keep a straight face. 

"I will be keeping this custom and attending with my most trusted companion, Dehya," she held out her hand to gesture at the woman behind her. "I do hope the prince will follow our customs," she smiled politely. 

"I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, Princess Candace," Kaveh placed the cup down and held out his hand, smiling brightly. "I do have a feeling we will be great allies." She took his hand and nodded. 

"I'm so glad we understand each other, Prince Kaveh." 

"Then, following this custom, it's only natural that you attend with me, Alhaitham," Kaveh smiled, looking over his shoulder. 

"Forgive me, Prince Kaveh, but I'm afraid I don't have the right attire to attend such an event," Alhaitham tried to politely decline. 

"Nor do I!" Dehya blurted out. "Princess..." she cleared her throat, trying to regain composure. 

"Don't be silly!" Kaveh chuckled. "Don't you know who we are?" 

"Quite right," Candace nodded in agreement. The two members of royalty gave each other a look of understanding. 

"It's only natural that we special order outfits from the best tailor in the land," the two stated at the same time while shrugging their shoulders. The two servants flinched, sighing deeply.