20 - The Harvester Attack

Start from the beginning

But, given how our original had disappeared on its own after a few hours, we had no idea how long these machines would remain within our power.

Over the previous weeks, Kelsonna and the elders had studied the plastic sheets and the symbols we had copied from the originals back on the jungle world. If they had made any sense of the ones that, so far, had still eluded Elcanah, then they had been silent on that fact. As the elders assembled within the meeting room, Kelsonna produced paper copies of several sheets and showed them to us.

"Linguistics are not my strength," she said. "But there is a man, originally from Primea, who says that some of them might indicate habitability. According to his estimation, the world represented on this particular sheet provides what he considers to be the most suitable values."

"How do you intend using that information?" Emla asked.

"We think two of the captured Harvesters should be sent there to evaluate that world, and then proceed to explore others should that first not prove suitable."

"And the other two?" Emla asked.

"They will go to your jungle world, each packed with a dozen or more of the trained forces. There they will attempt to wrest control of more of the Harvesters from the rat machines you described."

"It's likely they will be killed," I told them.

"Yes," she said. "It was always the way with such things, back before the wars were stopped and Peacetime established."

"Oh, you know about those as well. I didn't until Teshlo told me," I said.

"As you already now know, such knowledge is kept from the common folk where possible. The less they realise how much has been lost, the less they will question about how little remains."

I frowned, remembering Elcanah's comments of 'Secrets will kill us' and 'The curse of a failing civilisation'. Was the fate of Nervanna due to the way knowledge was being suppressed or would it have fallen to this level anyway? I kept my lips sealed and Emla pursed hers.

"Who will guide the Harvesters?" Emla asked.

"There will be two groups. The two Harvesters that will be sent to explore new worlds will be headed by Languill and yourself, Emla," Kelsonna stated. "The two that will be sent back to your jungle world will be headed up by Toquin and assisted by Yulla, who has proved herself the best amongst the archers."

"No," Emla shouted, jumping to her feet. "You can't separate us. The time differences between worlds may make it impossible for us to get back together. I refuse."

"Me too," I retorted, now as angry as Emla. I found the thought of losing her intensely unsettling and my heart beat fast as I felt panic rise in my chest. "We've helped you as best we can. You cannot separate us. You have no right."

"You could be forced to," Kelsonna spat.

Emla rushed forward and grabbed Kelsonna's walking stick and, brandishing it like a sword, placed the sharper end against Kelsonna's throat. The other elders gasped at this turn of events. As her guards were not present in the meeting room, there was no one for her to call upon for support. The eyes of the other elders darted between Kelsonna and Emla but they said nothing and made no move to intervene.

"When I say 'No' I mean 'No'," Emla hissed. "Toquin and I go together. If you make any attempt to separate us then we will no longer help you."

There were several seconds of silence before one of the elders stood up slowly, a hand raised to us as if to indicate that he meant no harm.

"Kelsonna," he said quietly, "you are too harsh. You are used to commanding and being obeyed. But, you were young once. Remember when you were no older than these two who have already helped us so willingly? Do not alienate them."

Kelsonna's eyes narrowed and she tried to stare the man down, but he did not avert his gaze from her. Finally, she sighed and said, "As you say, Pritack, as you say. Yes, I too was young once, as unbelievable as that may seem. Too many years of watching our world diminish has hardened me. I wanted to keep as many options open and in our favour as possible. Splitting these two up would be best tactically, but I forget that they are both young. As is readily apparent, they have become strongly enamoured of each other, just as once, many years in the past, you and I did likewise."

Pritack nodded slowly at Kelsonna's last remark.

She turned to us and said, quietly, "I apologise."

Emla lowered the walking stick and placed it on the meeting room table. Sitting down, she nodded at Kelsonna but folded her arms defiantly and said nothing.

Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to comment and vote on the story! The next part will be along soon.