Chapter 1 - All sanity kissed goodbye

Ren was the one who received the long awaited news. He was discussing some ideas with his team for their upcoming project when his secretary handed him the phone. He stared at her with a look that said, Did you forget I don't take calls in the middle of work? The girl shook her head and apologized.

"Sorry sir. But it's from the SFPD." She spoke quietly, not sure if it would be a good idea to announce to the entire team that their head was receiving a call from the law enforcement. God knows people always think the worst of everything. Ren seemed confused for a moment but took his phone from the lady nonetheless.

"Hello. This is Renrawin Aira." The tall man greeted the person on the other side of the line and excused himself to a corner of the conference room they had gathered in. He nodded, not sure why the officer asked for him to be present at the precinct as soon as possible. Realizing a second later that he had not given a vocal reply and immediately responding with, "Yes I can be there in about an hour. May I ask what this is about?" The officer spoke with a hint of uncertainty, "I'm sorry sir but I'm not at liberty to say anything. It's best if you come down here and meet with the Lieutenant."

"Okay, thank you. I will see you there." Ren did not know what the call was about but he couldn't help the tiniest bit of hope that flickered in him. It's been four years, is it wrong to still have faith? He took a deep breath and waved his secretary over. "Maisie, would you please take care of th...?" He seemed to have forgotten what he was saying as he felt that familiar desperate longing he'd tucked away not too long ago. He never really gave up. There was always something that held him back from doing so.

Maisie touched his left arm gently, giving him a sad smile. "Ren, I'll take care of everything here." She assured him, her hand gently stroking his arm over the shirt sleeve, trying to give him some comfort. They'd been friends for a while now and if they weren't in their workplace, she'd have preferred to hug him instead. However, right now she was just a secretary and no more. He gave her a distracted but grateful nod, taking another deep breath, not wanting to let his thoughts waver too much. This could just as well be nothing. Another dead end probably. "Thanks Maisie." He tried to smile, grateful for her always being there and proceeded to pat her hand that was now resting on his arm.

Ren, recently promoted as the Head of Design for their company, was not unprofessional. He'd worked his way through everything to reach where he is today. Sure the CEO might've given him some preferential treatment but no one and absolutely no one was against it. On the contrary, they all admired him for his work and his kindness never went unnoticed. He was the youngest boy in the office, yet the most gifted. The current situation however, required him to be somewhere else. He did not want to leave even if he knew they'd all be okay without him. Maisie was still going to be there and he trusted her so he quickly apologized to his team and took a leave stating he had an emergency.

Meanwhile, in a room on the floor just above the conference hall, two men were deeply indulged in one of their many trysts. The brunette had entered the room hoping to discuss the company's capital budgets when the raven head pulled him in by the wrist and locked the door behind. It was only when he was gently pushed back by a hand on his chest that he realized he was ambushed. His back hit the closed door and his chin was being nudged up by the svelte man in front of him. The files he held where being pulled out of his hands as warm lips made their way to his neck.

"I thought you wanted to discuss budgets for the new project." He managed to say, trying to keep his voice from faltering. The man was too close, his body was trapped in between the ravenette's taut arms, that he'd eventually come to love. His only response to the statement was a low hum that escaped his lips in between his open mouthed kisses. His fingers fumbled with the buttons of the suit jacket that the brunette had on, unhooking them one by one and eventually pushing it off his arms, over the man's wide shoulders.