"wait, isn't that.." josie began to realize.

"mhm," steve nodded, before turning to the others. "would you two just shut up and listen?"

"holy shit. the music," dustin stated, before shrugging his backpack off his shoulders and pulling out the tape. he pressed play and the message began.

"i don't understand," robin said.

"it's the exact same song on the recording," josie explained to her.

"maybe they have horses like this in russia," she suggested.

"indiana flyer? i don't.. i don't think so," steve replied.

"meaning what? this code the came from here? from hawkins?" josie wondered.

"yeah. there's something going on.."

— 🫶☁️💘 —

JUNE 30TH, 1985
📍hopper cabin
21:57 PM

"hey," josie smiled as steve entered her bedroom. "did you give the girls theirs?"

"mhm," he nodded, taking a seat on the bed.

once they got back to the cabin, josie had showered whilst steve went to pick up the two pizzas they'd ordered. half pepperoni, half chicken and sweetcorn, for them, of course, and a plain margarita for max and el who were having a sleepover in the next room.

josie tied off her braid before standing up from her vanity and walking towards her bed, taking a seat beside her boyfriend.

"what movie do you want?" steve wondered.

"sixteen candles," josie smiled.

"we watched that, like, two nights ago," he told her.

"you asked," she shrugged.

steve sighed, before standing up and approaching the tv, beside which was a box of cassettes.

josie looked around her room before asking her boyfriend, "did you get drinks?"

"oh, shit, yeah. they're on the table. i had to put them down whilst i gave the girls their stuff. i'll grab them in a sec."

"it's fine. i got it," she said, standing up. "you sort the movie out."

heading into the living room, josie found their two milkshakes on the dining table and picked them up, before returning to her room where she found steve pressing play on their movie.

the two made their way back onto her bed and sat close whilst they ate their pizza and enjoyed their movie which was one of their new favorites, despite steve pretending that he hated it.

"hey, jos," steve said, taking a sip on his milkshake. "you know that joke about being american heroes and having all the ladies i want?"

"i recall, yes," she nodded.

"and you know how i told you that you're the only girl i want? you know i meant that, right? i wasn't just saying it so i didn't seem like a dick," he said to her. "i really do love you. and i would never ever cheat on you or leave you for someone else."

josie smiled, leaning her head on the boys shoulder. "i really do love you too. and i would never ever cheat on you or leave you for someone else. not even a super smart stanford guy. so stop being paranoid, okay? it's not going to happen."

"okay, but what if there's a really handsome dude in one of your classes and—"

"steve."

"sorry."

a moment later and there was a knock on the bedroom door. "j? steve? can i come in?"

"sure, dad!" josie called, watching as her father opened the door and lingered in the doorway. he was dressed up in fancy clothes, but held a large bottle of wine in his hand and was obviously drunk. "what happened?"

"i, uh, i had a date. she didn't show up," the man said, his words slurred slightly.

"what? a date?" josie wondered. "with who?"

"just a friend. it was just dinner with a friend," he brushed off.

"joyce?" she asked.

"yeah, how'd you know?" hopper questioned.

"you always knew about me and steve. and we can tell there's something going on between you and joyce," she said. "must be a hopper talent."

"i invited her to dinner because she helped me sort out the mike and el situation. enzo's. i wanted to take her to enzo's to thank her. but the only money i spent was on bottles of alcohol that i drank alone.." he huffed, leaning his body against the doorframe. "i should've asked you first. i should've asked if you and el were cool with me going on with someone.. though i guess it doesn't matter now.. do you think it's my shirt? is my shirt too colorful? steve? man to man advice?"

"it's a nice shirt, hop," steve told him. "you look great."

"so, why..? why.. is it me? do i just push women away? is that it?"

"dad," josie spoke softly. "why don't you go lie down? it's been a long day and you need to be up early for work. you know what flo is like when you're late."

"yeah, yeah, okay.." her dad nodded, standing up straight. "i'll head to bed. night guys."

— 🫶☁️💘 —

i'll date you hopper 😩

WORD COUNT — 1306.